1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfairly maligned TV shows and movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does anyone watch Fox's animation bloc on Sunday's anymore? I honestly don't know.

There's that one burger show I see ads for when I watch NFL. Have no idea why or how its on TV.

And, of course, The Simpsons is like a 50-year-old whore trolling her wares long after her sell-by date.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Everyone I know who watches Bob's Burgers swears by it.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Great Aziz Ansari stand-up out there about how his younger cousin watching every show on TV.

"Nobody watches 'Burn Notice.' But Harris watches 'Burn Notice!'"

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First 6 seasons of the The Simpsons is as good as any TV show in history.

Save a few moments, the last 14 years have stunk.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

OK. I honestly have no idea. Hasn't seemed to seep into the greater zeitgeist, but of course, that doesn't mean its not good.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's like the opposite of the thread topic:
    Unjustifiably lauded Tv shows.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Road House."

The Tao of Swayze was off the charts.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is a product of the Internet or what, but as I get older and older, I find it harder and harder to consume entertainment if I can't talk about it or share it in some way with others. It's a complete reversal of my younger years, when I was proud to have my little secrets. I could wear out a CD and it didn't matter if anyone I knew heard it or cared. I still derived endless enjoyment.

Now, I don't feel like I've fully enjoyed or experienced something unless I can be part of "the conversation" - or at least read some of the conversation occurring online.

It's odd.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Road House is maligned?

I like the mix. There are things I never talk about, then there are others I love to talk about. I think with comedies I don't feel the need to discuss them as much, but with dramas it really adds something.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I haven't watched The Simpsons in about five years... I stopped watching Family Guy a couple years ago when it was making me uncomfortable, which is not an easy thing to do... I watched Bob's Burgers two, maybe three times... I doubt it so much as made me smirk.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was just emailing with some friends about this. I was watching the game last night when the DVR started recording two shows at once, meaning it had to switch to one of them, and it switched to Grey's. (My wife watches.) Anyway, right as I looked up, I saw this, which made me profoundly depressed:

[​IMG]

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'll get back to the matter at hand: Two and A Half Men. I've watched 3 or 4 episodes just to see if I'd like it.

The word "Awful" is still too generous. Maybe I needed to see it from the start to understand the overall arc and some of the nooks and crannies, but not sure I'd even want to go there. I gave it an honest viewing, and it's not funny. Worse, what's the point?

Draft saved Draft deleted