1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfairly maligned TV shows and movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I still think a HUGE amount of blame for Godfather III is entirely because Winona Ryder pulled out at the last minute and FFC decided the way to remedy the situation was to cast Sofia in that role.

Pacino's over-acting/shouting all his lines also sucks, but she's responsible for a ton of that movie's flaws. So in order, the blame goes to:

1. FFC
    2. Ryder
    3. Sofia Coppola
    4. No Tom Hagen/Duvall

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It has to be considered in both contexts.
    Within the trilogy, it's terrible.

Considered by itself, it's mediocre.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I also find Sophia Coppola very attractive.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I do as well. But she is a terrible actress.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes. Funny then, horrible now.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was one of 10 people who watched Coppolla's Hi Octane show back in the day on Comedy Central.

It was not unfairly maligned. See for yourself.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sophia has a gentle personality which is why Scarlett was so great in Lost in Translation. It transfered well from director to actor.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think a movie are TV show can be unfairly maligned. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

It is interesting how some movies and TV shows can hold up better than others -- even if you like them all on first viewing.

Some you could watch a million times, others seeing it twice seems like a chore.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not sure maligned is the right word, but both NCIS shows are incredibly underrated. I don't think the critics trash it, but for a show that has been No. 1 for a couple years and in the top 10-20 for the last decade, it's rarely mentioned.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Sandcastles in the Sand" is a better/funnier song than "Let's Go to the Mall," though the video is worse. I do think you're right that not really since Stella has there been a truly great Ted-based episode. The most best are the ones in which Robin finds out she can't have kids, Marshall's dad dies and a whole slew of Barney-based episodes.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

OK, most of the malignment is fair. But my expectations weren't high.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm always fascinated by the shows where you can honestly say, "I don't know anyone who watches that show..." and the show has been on forever.

For me, Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice fall into that category. I know Private Practice is almost done, but Grey's is still on and likely to be on for awhile and I don't know anyone who has watched that show for the last 3-4 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted