1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unf***ingbelievable...........

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thereligiouswrong, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Amid some recent big cutbacks in the news hole, beats and editorial personnel, I find out tonight that our oversized custodial staff makes $17 an hour and some dude who just walks around from floor to floor all night and makes sure some doors are locked makes $19 an hour. That's almost 40 grand a year for those of you without calculators.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Re: Unfuckingbelievable...........

Welcome to journalism.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, that surprises me not at all.
    And, I bet he doesn't care if you can agree you VERB and TENSE.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

what ive learned through 28 years: the less fun the job, the more you get paid. garbage men rake it in.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

As do plumbers.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

But their asscracks are showing all the time.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Getting paid good money to eat whatever you want, wear whatever you want and not give a damn?

Sounds like a plan. Or Jason Whitlock.

(sorry, had to...)

8. ogre

ogre Member

We get paid less because the company knows we love what we do and that we are always looking to leave for something better. If we wanted to make real money, we would have got a souless job. Speaking of which, can I borrow a dollar? Seriously, pay day is next Friday and I have two crumpled up ones until then.

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

It also helps to have a union that is backed up by some muscle (Teamsters, AFL-CIO, etc.) ...

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

So, TRW, what does that tell you?

That's right. Get a janitor gig.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Ha! You think that's bad?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30610/

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

There is much truth to the notion that part of our "salary" is the ability to go home at the end of the day without blistered feet. I know people who have lost tips of fingers on the job. That's not likely to happen at a football game. Maybe at a Mike Tyson press conference...

Of course, people seem to think we make a fortune. What always gets me is that the paper I'm working for influences how well people work with me on stories. I had that question today, and the guy acted like I was working for the Butthole Times.

Most of my friends can match my salary. One guy is a painter; another is a factory worker. I don't fret over it. I figure that my lifestyle is a cake walk compared to what they endure each day. As long as I'm happy with the money I bring home each week, to hell with the rest of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted