1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Unethical" to record a phone interview?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jaredk, May 7, 2007.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The recording laws aren't just for interviews. They're for all phone conversations. Think "this call may be recorded" when you call service centers or anything like that.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry, Shockey, but I think you and your lawyers are just plain wrong on this one.

In certain states, telephone conversations cannot be taped without both parties agreeing to it. The Florida statute, for example, makes no distinction about reporters or interviews or anything else:

The only leeway I see in there is for felony vs. misdemeanor, and you only have that wiggle room once.

Not to make this any more than a constructive, professional conversation, it's important that the younger people here understand this and not start taping (depending on their state) without knowing exactly what the law is.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

One thing to add:

Yeah, most interview subjects might not object to being taped in principle.

But if you've got a troublesome one, and he denies saying something, and you say, "But I've got it on tape," then you're screwed. So you lose that defense/backup. Or, you can't refer to the tape anyway.

Better to just be up front and not worry about it.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Would you tell someone in a phone interview, 'And I'm writing all of this down, okay??'

Or if you tell them you're recording the interview, and they say, 'Um no, I'd rather you don't,' are you doing to say 'Oh, sorry, okay'?

It's an interview. If you've ID'd yourself, and you're within the law, you're doing your job.

And the only time that recording becomes an issue is when they say you misquoted them...and you can prove you didn't. By that point, you'll still be within the law, and you'll also be right.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

21: Unless you're in one of the 12 states where multi-party consent is needed. If they say no to the recording, and you record, and then misquote, and they beef, and you reveal the recording, and they take you to court ... good luck! You might win the case but also have to update your resume.

6. I don't always tell the other party when I'm recording, though I do most of the time. It's not the law in my state, so legally, that doesn't matter.
    I do think it's unethical to just call, not identify yourself as a reporter (i.e. do it undercover) and then record it.
    But as long as you make it clear you're a reporter and interviewing them, I don't think there is any ethical issue here.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Exactly. I've never had someone tell me that they had a problem with me taping the conversation. It helps that we don't put audio clips on the Web, of course.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm with slappy on this one.

9. JackS

JackS Member

Coming from a radio background, I think recording any kind of interview or public statement, be it in a conference or one-on-one setting, is fair game, regardless of whether or not the subject can see a tape recorder rolling, over the phone or otherwise.

It must be assumed by the subject that they are "on the record" in such a situation, as long as they know who you are (a member of the media). In my mind, it would be up to them to say they DID NOT want to be recorded. Asking them is nothing more than a courtesy on your part. It's not a bad practice, but you're under no obligation.

I mean, hell, should I have interrupted John Chaney's "death threat" against John Calipari to ask if it was OK to have my tape recorder on?

I only see turning on a tape recorder as unethical if the person being recorded does not know who you are. The phone aspect makes no difference whatsoever.

10. I need to make a BIG clarification here: I said it's unethical to record conversations without telling the subject. There's nothing wrong with taping someone as long as they know it. Hell, then TV and radio couldn't make a living ... (now that you mention it ...)

11. I've taped a lot of phone conversations. One of my past jobs required all interviews be taped and that we notify people they were being taped or we couldn't run the quotes. It was a bit extreme but I do think people should be told. Why?

1. We're reporters. We should be upfront and honest about all things we do to gain and hold the public's trust.

2. Put yourself in the subject's position. Let's say you gave an interview, talked to the reporter off-hand for a little while and maybe even told him something off the record. Wouldn't you be nervous/pissed if you somehow found out it's all on tape?

3. What's your excuse for not telling the person they're being taped? What are you afraid of? That they won't talk to you? That they won't let you tape it? You need to ask yourself this.

I've read through some of the posts on here. Obviously you can tape shit in public places. I'm just talking about one one one interviews.

12. jaredk

jaredk Member

My mistake. I mis-read Write-brained's original comment.

Still, it's no more unethical to tape a phone call without telling the subject than it is to use a No. 2 pencil without telling 'em...

Draft saved Draft deleted