1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment Rate Without Government Cuts: 7.1%

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 8, 2012.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Revenue evaporated from local governments because of the collapse of real estate values and the loss of property taxes. .... and it hasn't helped that Republicans at all levels have decided that tax rates only move in one direction: Down.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's also illegal for community action agencies that accept government money to teach clients how to cheat the government out of money.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So when the country can no longer afford to pay unemployment benefits and everyone gets cut off will the spin be that the unemployment rate has gone down to zero?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because government of course never supplies any services of use to anybody, and those who deserve those services can pay for themselves anyway. Who needs a state park if you have your own 800-acre north woods cottage?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So, to be clear, your positiion is that the government should be able to take however much money it wants from taxpayers and should never cut back in bad economic times.

That sounds sustainable...

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I hadn't been partially quoted you would have seen the part that followed:

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The first part I disagree with, but the second part, about not cutting back in bad economic times? Yeah, put me down for that, 100%. Of course the corollary is that it SHOULD cut back in good economic times to keep the deficit manageable (and the economy when healthy would be able to absorb the cutbacks much better).

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What do you define as "good times"?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My favorite episode was the one where the father fakes his death and bolts for Queens, NY to open up a McDowell's restaurant.

Actually, it was too bad John Amos left the show (I think in a contract dispute). It didn't last very long after that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted