1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment Rate Without Government Cuts: 7.1%

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 8, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes, because there can't possibly be any middle ground between all the wholesale cuts we've seen in municipal government and make-work fake jobs that would make a college football booster blush.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no need for cuts in state and local governments if those governments can support those jobs. That means two things. Doing things that generate revenue and support the jobs -- i.e. -- run a profitable enterprise, which has largely never been the case -- or create revenue in other ways to support those jobs. That has meant borrowing freely to create jobs predicated on a pattern of borrowing and spending.

The fact that that is no longer happening is democracy in action. Local and government spending has fallen because voters have wanted that -- almost across the board, state by state. Voters apparently haven't seen marginal local and state government activity as having the same value as cash in their own pockets at a time that they are getting hit by the inflationary effects of our monetary policy and their inflation-adjusted net worth per capita has sunk.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

National debt (not counting the $15-plus trillion we owe): Zero.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Fuckin' austerity.

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

What's the rate without newspaper cuts?

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Perfect! Top shelf, sir. I tip my hat to you...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wouldn't many of those people be ineligible for unemployment?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

ahh. should've read the whole page before posting. did Rush think of that or did he just say 'good idea.'

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm sure I missed something here, but which part?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Telling your unemployment office that you're looking for work when you're not.

In my state, you have to fill out a form with the name, address and phone number of every company you contact. I think it's 2 or 3 a week while you're on unemployment. Contacting can mean by phone, in person, or by resume.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Baron's got it.

Filing for unemployment if you're not actively looking for work is fraud.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So, in other words, as long as you "go down to their local employment office and tell them they are looking for work" and can document it, it's not illegal.

State employees are generally fucking idiots but I'm pretty sure they're not just going to take somebody's word for it. They're going to ask for documentation and, as long as you provide it, it's not illegal at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted