1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment Rate Without Government Cuts: 7.1%

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 8, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

To be eligible you'd have to be looking for work, and if they're looking for work, they have to take any reasonable offer.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If they're eligible for benefits, wouldn't they'd be counted in the unemployment number?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure most would be eligible for benefits. (The elegibility for most would have expired, I would imagine.) The idea is to be added to the number of people looking for work, which is how the unemployment number is factored.

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

In nearly all states, you're not eligible if you quit or retired.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This just made my day. Here I thought the country was still in the shitter and I read something like this and find out that I could not be more wrong. Everything is great! Thanks Obama!!!

6. Mizzougrad96

If this is true, Obama must have an approval rating in the high 60s right?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because they aren't "actively" looking for work. That's part of why unemployment figures are bullshit.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Only if they register to collect benefits. And if you register you are required to document your search progress thru the government system. You're required to apply for a minimum number of jobs each week in order remain eligible to collect benefits. I believe the number of weekly applications you have to fill out is 5.

What sucks about the system is that it determines what jobs you're qualified to apply for. If it determines you aren't qualified enough to apply for a certain job it locks you out of the application process for that job in the system.

My wife has gone through this and it's a fucking nightmare. You wind up wasting time applying for jobs you know you don't want & are over-qualified for in order to keep your account active in the system. Then you go outside of the system to find the jobs you want and are qualified for.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In California, they have instructions that say fill out the contact information and job you applied for "if this box is checked." The liaison from the unemployment office told us that in 11 years working in that office, he has never once seen that box checked, so don't worry about it. In my six-plus months on UI, I never saw the box checked so I never had to fill out the form.

Not sure if California is unusual, but at least here it isn't all that hard to coast under the radar.

10. Mizzougrad96

I am no longer concerned.

11. The unemployment rate would be 0% if we kept hiring government workers at the rate we did from 1995-2003.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Keynesian trickle-down economics.

Let's put in a giant works program to revive the economy. We'll borrow as much as we can, for as long as we can, and use the money to hire unemployed people to dig ditches with spoons. We'll employ lots of people that way!

Then. ...

Of course, someone has to make all those spoons.
    And we'll need people to mine the aluminum.
    And more people to make the spoon molds.
    And that will create jobs for artisans to engrave the handles.
    And jobs for people to package the spoons.
    And of course, we can hire people to count the spoons.
    And we'll hire people to ship the spoons.
    And don't forget the Federal spoon inspectors from the government agency created to ensure that all spoons are up to code for digging.

. ... Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a little rice to feed all those people with spoons?

Draft saved Draft deleted