1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment help: Can I file if my employer won't let me go?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Oct 13, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Shouldn't you be out partying, birthday girl?

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

See the birthday thread - I don't want to thread jack. :)

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I turned in my key and left my old office around 10:30 this morning. Around 11:00, I got home and had an e-mail informing me that I am being offered the position with AT&T I interviewed for last Friday. It should represent about a $10k raise over what I was making (that is, back when I was getting paid.) And if Ma Bell's check won't clear, there's no hope for any of us anyway.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just impressed that none of you shot the place up.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'd still file for unemployment given what's been going on at your old job. Only thing they can do is say no.
    I think the bring-home after taxes for alabama unemployment is $168//week or thereabouts.
    usually, if i'm not mistaken, is they'll start your benefits and then sort it out. If they eventually deny you, probably have to pay them back.
    slappy might know more about that than me, though. It's been a while since I was drawing unemployment.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I meant no disrespect Dixie. Most of us can identify with shitty employers. Just seemed to me you'd get better advice from someone who actually works in the unemployment industry.

So, what're you gonna be doing for AT&T?

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That's great. Congratulations!

P.S.--Do they have any other openings?

Draft saved Draft deleted