1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment help: Can I file if my employer won't let me go?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Oct 13, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

First off, I no longer work in journalism, which is why I posted to this thread instead.

The company I work for has not made payroll since September 15, and has no prospects of doing so any time soon. It should be blindingly obvious that the firm is failing, but the owner is in denial. However, he won't fire or lay off the staff, which means that I'm not eligible to get unemployment. I've told him that tommorrow is the last day I can work without seeing a paycheck, and he understands. But surely there has to be something that prevents me from having to live in this limbo land, even in this right to work state that would sooner set fire to the capital building than stand up to any business interests.

Advice?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

would depend on the state but in texas nonpayment would be a legitimate reason for quitting and still being eligible for unemployment.

3. dixiehack

Alabama. Technically, I could probably still be put on a chain gang for being an idle vagrant. :D

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My guess is that nonpayment is as good of a reason as any.

https://dir.alabama.gov/docs/guides/uc_brr.pdf

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm not, why should you?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if it helps, unenjoyment in this state is 200 bucks a week...

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

What are you asking us for? I mean, we're glad to help if we can, but I'm guessing you can get much better information elsewhere. My advice: Look at the link above and call the unemployment office and ask the question you asked us.

Or, you could kick your boss in the nuts so he'll fire you.

8. dixiehack

Which would be a $200/week improvement over current conditions.

Novelist, I'm asking because things finally came to a head this morning, and I'm still in a daze. Step 1 of 12, and all that.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So you've been working for a month without being paid?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

$200 a week is the max?
    You gotta be kidding.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That does seem way low.

12. dixiehack

It is truly a different world if you've never lived down here.

And yes, I've gone a month without a paycheck. The wife is a special ed teacher with a masters in a good district, which helps a lot. And I have already been job hunting and interviewing (went for the drug test today for a promising position). I just need to be able to do that full-time during the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted