1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment drops to 8.3 percent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Let's hope Starman is near a computer.

3. Dick Whitman

Why is that? Is he skeptical of these figures? I definitely made sure to hedge with "on the surface."

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Because he'll have a thoroughly enjoyable rant about the uber-class not wanting people to have jobs, replete with sixth-grade nicknames and the perfect amount of bile for a sunny Friday morning. I eagerly await the musings of sj's favorite political lunatic.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll be here as soon as he's done feeding the people he has trapped in his basement.

6. Mizzougrad96

It is good news. I just wonder if this is similar to a couple years ago when the people hired do do the census caused the number to drop. Is this a reflection of the seasonal workers who were hired around Christmas? Those kinds of things can really skew the number.

That's not anybody's fault, that's just the way it's set up.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Mizzou, these are January numbers, so the Christmas effect wouldn't be the difference-maker.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They adjust for that, and have for many, many moons. The unemployment number is never the actual number, it's the seasonally adjusted number so you can put it in context ... unless you're Starman. :)

9. Mizzougrad96

OK... Good...

10. Dick Whitman

Mizzou, I think it's cool that you're pulling for the employment rate to improve, even though it would be bad for your side in November.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nice job of picking up the slack, but you'll need more bile.

12. Dick Whitman

I don't think it's out there to suggest that some Republicans would like to see the economy stall until November at least.

Just like it wasn't out there to suggest that some Democrats were not exactly hoping that things would turn around in Iraq in 2004.

Draft saved Draft deleted