1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment at lowest rate since March 2009, thanks to small businesses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 2, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Everything I post here is just speculation. I don't think China per se is experiencing any sort of bubble. It started from such a low economic base that with even just a bit of loosening to allow some markets to flourish, its economy can afford to grow at 9 or 10 percent a year for a long time and still not even come close to reaching the potential the U.S. economy has realized. There are more people in China living on $2 a day still than there are people approaching the American standard of living.

I think the collapse of China is going to happen because of the topple effect of what is going on in Europe and the U.S. because of the debt contagion. Plus, China does have some hidden problems along the same lines. Officially, China has no Federal debt, but its tens of thousands of municipalities have issued massive amounts of bad debt, a lot of it after 2008, and the full weight of it might come crashing down the way it is with sovereign debt problems everywhere else. They are already showing cracks.

I think the big problem for China will be if Europe crashes. Its the same thing that is threatening the U.S. economy. The moves a few days ago were too well coordinated and for China to be on board demonstrates that they are freaked by the prospect of European bank liquidity problems. At the same time the Federal Reserve was lowering funding costs for European lenders, China announced that it was lowering the RMB deposit reserve ratio.

Those are fairly drastic steps, and it puts our central bank in a role of monetizing OTHER people's debt, which infuriates me personally. Regardless, stuff like that doesn't happen unless there is a perceived crisis and autocrats start panicking. That is why I think there is a real liquidity crunch that reached near meltdown levels, and there is a coordinated effort going on to try to put off the debt flu from spreading.

The liquidity injections are just more of the same, though. It's not a cure. It just masks the symptoms a bit longer and when the outbreak does occur, it will be that much worse. I think China is just as freaked as our Federal Reserve is, and that is because if the European banking system crumbles, it will send the world's economies spiraling. It will be worse than 2008 and piled on top of already soft economies.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm no financial expert either but here's my prediction for the EU. They'll sorta agree to go along with Merkel's pie-in-the-sky tighter fiscal union at their meeting this coming week. Close on the heels, if not at the same time (after the Germans have been given their sop), they go to Eurobonds and the ECB firing up the printing presses.

Will that work? Who knows? But once European pols get a taste of devaluing their way out of debt - something they haven't been able to do for years - that whole austerity trip might go out the window.

If the Germans don't agree to the above, than it's simply a matter of time before Greece and Spain default their way out of the Euro.

Draft saved Draft deleted