1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underrated sports writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 14, 2012.

1. sm72

sm72 Member

Harry Minium of The Virginian-Pilot has turned out some good stuff on the Old Dominion beat.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know if "under-rated" fits because he's really young and already in a pretty damn good gig, but Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is doing some really great things. I was skeptical about him coming in considering how he landed there (ditching Orlando, I believe, after accepting the job there) but he has been fantastic. Even better, having met him he's not some cocky hot-shot, but rather a very nice, humble, respectful young man.

In a different era I'd ticket him for some really big things. In this era, who knows? But he should end up somewhere big. I've seen young writers with a lot less talent and much worse attitudes land in nice places in the past couple years.

3. sm72

sm72 Member

...you mean cocky doesn't work?

Well, fuck. [/kidding]

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If you aren't going to allow sportswriters who work at big places like SI, ESPN.com or big newspapers, then why not just change the name of the thread to "Underemployed sports writers?"

And if you're going to stick to twentysomethings or thirtysomethings, just make it "Best Damn Sports Writers Under 30" or "... 40."

I notice that neither I nor any of my good pals in the business have been mentioned here yet. I've got to start keeping better company. :p

5. sm72

sm72 Member

You could help your own cause/those of your colleagues by, y'no, actually putting some suggestions out there. I mean, that's kinda what the thread is for.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So if a writer doesn't work for one of the five or 10 biggest places in the business, he or she is underemployed? Interesting take.

How about you explain how someone who has one of the best jobs in the business possibly can be underrated?

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Plus, he has won a Heisman. That does it for me.

8. bake1234

bake1234 Member

I second Berry Tramel at The Oklahoman. I'll also throw out Dirk Chatelain (Omaha World Herald), Dave Hyde (South Florida Sun-Sentinel), Brad Townsend (DMN) and Kate Hairopoulos (DMN).

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Well said Drip. Totally agree.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I spent nearly eight years in Idaho, so not only am I not underrated, I'm pretty sure I hit the ceiling. And how low a ceiling it was.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cole is outstanding. Not sure how he's underrated.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It seems like that rumor has been there for several years now.

Draft saved Draft deleted