1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underrated sports writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your check is in the mail.

And I'm not getting into Versatile's question - I love them both. Known Adam for years. He typed a story while covering Virginia Tech on THIS computer (when it belonged to my son). He was also responsible, with three other ne'er do wells, for a rescue mission weekend for my son years and years ago. I will owe the four of them forever for that.

I'll just say those who want to read about the Nats around here have multiple fine choices in Adam, Amanda and Mark Zuckerman. Among others.

Sonner probably probably has more cache in this conversation - he doesn't have a dog in the fight like I do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haller came through the school paper at Indiana a couple years before me, I believe his path included a stint in Pensacola among other places. Very much a pro's pro.

And throw in another vote for Lopresti. Gannett is even more batshit crazy than already known if they don't keep him.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I meant it not as a slam on Comak or the Times. Kilgore is among the very finest beat reporters in the country, though. I'd put him in the argument as the best.

4. sm72

sm72 Member

I'm so happy someone on here knows that calling card.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure Sonner was making any kind of comparison or saying anyone wasn't awfully good - he was just pointing out that he thinks The Times has a quality collection of young writers (and doing so without any prompting from me). And he's right, we do. Saying he thinks Amanda is awfully good doesn't make it a slight on Adam or even a comparison.

As noted, I love them both. I'd take a bullet for either one. So I'm not exactly unbiased.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Exactly. I wasn't comparing Comak and Kilgore. They are both top-flight beat reporters. If I were running a staff of writers, I'd be damn lucky to have either working for me. I'm glad those two -- and Zuckerman -- are on the Nats beat. Hard to ask for much more as a Nats fan.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I just think we need to do more to reel in Moddy's ego. Next thing you know, Sonner's going to start a "Socks and sandals running thread."

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's all about perception folks. Plenty of great guys not covering major sports and they are happy and just as qualified - maybe more so - than some those named along these threads. Just sayin.....

9. 35in44

35in44 Member

I'd have to agree with both Dopirak and Birkett. Birkett is probably among the top 10 NFL reporters in the country as well.

I'd also throw Brendan Prunty, from the Star-Ledger, into this conversation. He's quite good.

10. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

I don't work with him, but I work near and around him all the time. Know him well. He's not at all underrated around here, but beyond Big 12 country — though that could be changing thanks to the Thunder — I believe he's very underrated, at least among the masses (rather than those in the business): The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel.

He's terrific. His voice is so clearly his, it's akin to Boston coming on the radio (because Boston only sounds like Boston), and, with all of his blogging, he's crazy prolific, too.

I don't know if he'd see it this way, but to a great extent, I think he may simply write for himself rather than a decided audience. But his point of view is so interesting and original, you wouldn't want it any other way. His point is never the point for me, but how he comes to it. Further — though I don't read everybody the way I used to — I wonder how many more there are like him: a near-daily columnist, who writes about everything, and who is consistently more interesting and fun than the beat writers.

To me, that's a columnist.
    Also, who out there is like that still?
    A columnist's columnist.
    Plaschke and who else?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Vahe Gregorian of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch could write for anyone.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What about underrated sports writers who aren't in their 20s? Guys like Danny O'Neil and Mike Hlas and Chip Scoggins and Joe Strauss.

Draft saved Draft deleted