1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underrated sports writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 14, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Fastest filer in the West, which at the Times is EXTREMELY helpful. But his use of Ovechkin quotes verbatim disqualifies him. :D

2. BlackBerry

BlackBerry New Member

Doug Lesmerises. He was named beat writer of the year in 2011 by the Football Writers Association of America, so he may not be underrated. I still feel like a lot of people don't know who he is, though.

Lesmerises is the Ohio State football and men's basketball beat writer for the Plain Dealer. Guy is legit. His copy is beautiful, whether it's a gamer, feature story, etc. He was part of the two-man team the Plain Dealer sent to London for the Olympics, and he wrote some really great stuff from there.

On the OSU beat, he's great at writing something different and original. When people are all writing the same thing, he finds a way to stand out and take unique angles. It's always thought-provoking.

3. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

I've overlooked the most obvious -- Mike Lopresti, Gannett/USA TODAY. It's funny how some columnists (ahem, Sally Jenkins) gripe about how tough it is to come up with something solid every month or however infrequently they write, while Lopo turns in quality work every time, often within minutes of an event ending. The guy is a machine, a real pro's pro.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And has been doing it for decades. Good call.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thirded.

6. JPW

JPW New Member

As as Arizonan, I really respect the work that Doug Haller does covering both the ASU football and men's basketball beats for the Republic. He produces a ton of stories and blogs frequently for those interested in smaller details. He also does a good job of mixing in features with his beat coverage. Never met the guy and I don't know what his career path has been, but as a fan he gives me everything I want on the two teams he covers.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Meanwhile, I hear that Gannett is squeezing Lopresti out?

8. nate41

nate41 Member

Mike Reiss, former Boston Globe and current ESPN Boston Patriots beat writer, always has good stuff.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

BADGER!!!!

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not to get Moddy feeling all hot and bothered or anything, but he's got some of the best writers in D.C. in Amanda Comak (Nats), Rich Campbell (Skins), and the aforementioned Whyno (Caps).

I'll also nominate Dave Birkett in Detroit. Probably the hardest working (and smartest) reporter I've ever seen.

In the columnist division, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the fact that Aaron McFarling is still in Roanoke (Va.) is embarrassing. Unless that's by his choice.

Lots and lots of bias in this post.

11. writingump

writingump Member

A-Mac is really good, a pro's pro and a nice guy to boot. Just don't ask him if he knows Marshall McDougall.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm not sure there's a way to ask this without coming off as a jerk, and I really don't mean it as a slam against her because she seems to be a fine reporter, but ...

Do you really think Comak vs. Adam Kilgore is even a close battle?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted