1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underrated sports writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Meant to start this a while ago, but I submit L. Jon Wertheim. He never gets the attention of Lake or Price, among SI staffers, on this board, but his body of work is tremendous. Recently he had a great one-two punch in consecutive issues on the Arab-Israel chill in the Olympics and international sports and then on the Georgia baseball players who were both paralyzed, one in a car accident and one in an on-the-field collision. Also, as noted in the books thread and the reason I started this thread today, he has written several well-received books.

Others?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jon Wertheim : sports writing :: Pavel Datsyuk : hockey

At some point, a guy gets called underrated enough that it's not true.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seconded, with the addition that Jon is also in the running as the next editor of SI.

deadspin.com/5942954

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You know who's really good?

[​IMG]

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Anyone we mention could probably fall into a similar category, but I'll add Tim Brown. Loved him years ago as Lakers beat writer -- his gamers were things of beauty -- and his baseball writing.

With Wertheim, it'll be fun to see who gets the top spot. The other "bakeoffs" in SI's history always seemed really interesting, just from reading about them (MacCambridge detailed them in his book).

6. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Everyone on this board, of course.

And you know who has a lot of promise for being just a couple of years in the business? Nicole Auerbach at USAT.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you're gonna "underrated" I think it's a stretch to pick a guy working for some time at SI.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

On this board, though? When are his stories ever discussed? I suspect much has to do with the fact that so much of what he writes about is tennis, which doesn't exactly inflame passions here.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it's relative. In Jon's case, it's like choosing the most underrated Yankee.

Grantland's Brian Phillips isn't talked about nearly enough.

10. sm72

sm72 Member

Agreed 100 percent. Love his work. As I posted in the book club thread, Strokes of Genius and Sportscasting are two of my favorites. His MMA work is underappreciated, as well.

I do like Auerbach's work, but to be honest, I've seen a lot better from young writers. She's not underrated in my mind because she has a ton more exposure than most 20-somethings. Might be a bit of jealousy kicking in, but some of the classmates from her graduating class at Michigan, some of mine from Indiana, etc., have produced a lot better than I've seen from her.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Jason Cole.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Seconded.

Draft saved Draft deleted