1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underrated home runs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 9, 2011.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

IIRC, the main impetus for Howser's dismissal was that Steinbrenner wanted to fire third-base coach Mike Ferraro, who had sent a runner home earlier in the series only to see the runner thrown out. Howser stood up for Ferraro and then was gone himself.

Also, Howser actually replaced Jim Frey as Royals manager the next season.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Wait. Wasn't the Bartman game Game 6? Were Games 5 and 6 both played at Wrigley?

3. Scouter

Scouter Member

Games 3, 4 and 5 were in Florida

4. Sea Bass

Right. Maybe Sosa hit his in the top of the ninth then.

5. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Sosa's big homer was Game 1.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200310070.shtml

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about the business with Mike Ferraro, although I don't imagine getting swept in the ALCS helped Howser's position with Steinbrenner.

Just a whiff on Jim Frey. Had completely forgotten about him. I do recall now that Whitey was fired from K.C. after the '79 season

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And it was Mike Lowell who hit the home run to win it for the Marlins in that game, not Cabrera. It seems Carlton doesn't really care for facts in general, not just when it comes to politics.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Hal Smith's 3-run homer in the 8th inning of Game 7 in the 1960 World Series.

9. Sea Bass

I'm not sure Sosa even played for the Cubs.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Lou Gehrig's fourth home run of the game on June 3, 1932. He was the first man to hit four homers in a game during the 20th century, but the feat was overshadowed because John J. McGraw chose that very day to retire after 31 years as manager of the New York Giants.

Lou Gehrig's second home run of the game on October 1, 1932 - Game 3 of the World Series. It accounted for the winning run in a 7-5 victory by the Yankees, but is not easily remembered because it immediately followed Babe Ruth's called shot.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I mentioned McGwire's 62nd on the first page, but how about No. 71 for Barry Bonds?
    Obviously, there's a reason it's overlooked now, but even at the time there was some outcry over the lack of excitement for it. He hit it late on a Friday night, IIRC (might have been a Saturday, but I know it was a weekend night), a couple weeks after 9/11, and not long after the McGwire-Sosa duel in '98.
    It was the capper on one of the great individual seasons in baseball history (again, putting aside how he accomplished that), and it seems almost forgotten now. There's times I have to remind myself that Bonds, and not McGwire, actually holds that record.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Roger Maris holds the real record.

Draft saved Draft deleted