1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underrated home runs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 9, 2011.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Rick Monday's ninth-inning homer off Steve Rogers in game 5 of the 1981 NLCS in Montreal.

It put Dodgers into a World Series that they won and squashed the Expos best shot at the Fall Classic.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fuck Rick Monday!

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought Bud Selig did that 13 years later.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I worked at the paper in Monday's hometown. We were a PM paper and we were able to get that in for full run. Same-day coverage ... in 1981.
    Almost blew deadline because it was so hard to send from Olympic Stadium. It was my first remote computer, the Texas Instruments model that used thermal paper and had the phone cups built into the top of the machine. It was so noisy in Olympic Stadium, the noise disrupted the transmission.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is a legend at Arizona State that Monday had come back for some type of reception, and he wanted to go by the baseball field after hours. He was greated by a security guard who would not let him on the field, saying he had never heard of him and would not let him in the stadium.

Monday said all he needed to do was go out onto the field and the guard would understand who he was. The guard agreed and Monday walked out onto the field with him, and Monday pulled out his wallet, flashed his ID and pointed to the outfield wall.

[​IMG]

He then noted the one with the 27 on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I was 7 and felt absolutely crushed when he hit that homerun. I absolutely loved the Expos as a kid.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Kent Hrbek had a pretty big GS in Game 6 of the 1987 WS, I think.

And Edgar Martinez had a huge granny against the Yankees in Game 4 of the 1995 ALDS, the series that really saved baseball in Seattle.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Same here. I was 16 and a Jays fanboi looser by then, but the Expos were my first team and I followed them until their final game. Can still see Monday's homer leaving the yard.

And Bud Selig truly did fuck the best team in baseball 13 years later.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

I'm biased, but this list should pretty much start and end here, in my opinion. Game 6 of the '95 Series was an excellent game on both sides, and it's rarely ever talked about. Glavine gave up one hit, a bloop single, to the league's best lineup, and Justice slammed the homer a night after challenging Atlanta fans.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Jetes' "Mr. November" homer to win Game 4 of the 2001 World Series will always be #1 for me.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

42 now. And the first walk-off grand slam.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was Guerrero.

How about Mike Sciosca's homer in game four of the 1988 NLCS to send the game into extra innings. You could argue that changed the momentum of that series.

Draft saved Draft deleted