1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underrated home runs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems like the pantheon of memorable home runs has been frozen in amber at this point. Maz. Thomson. Fisk. Gibson. Maybe Carter? This is kind of a two-prong question: What are some home runs that you feel are underrated in baseball history? That belong on the highlight reel alongside the others? And, second, why do they seem to fall short?

I'll start:

(1) Bernie Carbo, 1975 World Series, Game 6. Not a game-ender, so that's probably why.
    (2) Scott Podsednik, 2005, Game 2. Not sure why this one doesn't rate higher. Probably because Podsednik isn't a big enough name.
    (3) Ozzie Smith, 1985 NLCS, Game 5. "Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

I think a similar thread can be done in March regarding buzzer-beaters.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Gibson in game 5 of the '84 series.
    Pujols off of Lidge in the NLCS (I want to say game 6 in 2005, but that may not be right. just a monster homer and Lidge wasn't effective for about two years after that)
    Joe Carter- game 6, '93 (I mean only a walkoff homer to win a world series, not that the WWL ever seems to notice)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kirby Puckett, Game 6 of 1991 World Series: "And we'll see you tomorrow night!"

Dave Henderson, 1986 ALCS: Remembered for the tragedy of Donnie Moore.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tino Martinez's grand slam off Mark Langston in Game 1 of the 1998 World Series. Martinez looked at a pitch which was awfully close to being strike three and hit the next pitch into the upper deck to break a 5-5 tie. Evil Empire wins 9-6.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pine Tar Home Run.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'll admit this is not a pantheon homer, but it's been underrated.

Sandy Alomar off Rivera in Game 4 of the 1997 ALDS. Both at the time and in hindsight, Rivera was untouchable in the postseason. To hit a game tying HR off him in the 8th was mindblowing at the time. The 2001 Game 7 blown save has taken some of the lustre off Alomar's HR, but it was unthinkable at the time that a catcher would do that to Rivera.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And it wasn't a bad pitch.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

David Justice, Game 6, 1995. Only run of the game to give Atlanta a world title.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Jim Leyritz in Game 4 of the 1996 World Series. I think people forget how dominant the Braves had been in that series. Routs in Games 1 and 2, at Yankee Stadium, and up 6-0 in Game 4.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll throw McGwire's 62nd out there. No matter what has happened since, that was a HUGE baseball and cultural moment. I mean, Fox broadcasting the game in primetime on a Tuesday? Really? Kind of a shame we've chosen to forget it like a drunken bar hookup.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Soriano off of Schilling in 2001 game 7 - should have been a WS winning shot.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The one a year Nick Punto hits.

Draft saved Draft deleted