1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underpants in the mail

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Every once in a while, I'll pop a check to a charity that's worthy. Of course, doing that guarantees tons of mail pitches because they sell mailing lists.

Doesn't bother me. Takes a few minutes to sort the mail, and I get more address labels than I could use in a lifetime.

Today I get an envelope from something called, "Feeding America's Hungry Chidren" with a Washington DC address. I open the envelope, and there is a pair of new child's size 4 pink underpants.

It's been a while since I've said "WTF" out loud.

The pitch talks about visiting some family in Northern Arizona. "Their makeshift home did not have heat, and they were struggling to provide for their two beautiful kids, ages 4 and 7, with a single healthy meal every day."

Then, in a new paragraph, "The children didn't even have underpants."

So, according to "Lon Taylor," I'm supposed to send back the underpants with a donation. There's a paper tag that says, "This pair of underpants was provided for you by:

Could this be any creepier? How does "Lon" know the kids don't have underpants?

I can't find this organization on charitynavigator.com

I don't know if this is an oblique pitch to pedophiles or a horribly misguided guilt trip. Doesn't matter. I don't want to get kids underpants in the mail.

2. There's a Mr. Hansen from NBC on Line One.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://charityreports.bbb.org/Public/Report.aspx?CharityID=2211

Send back the underwear with a note telling them to give them to the kid instead of using them as a fundraising tool.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Sounds like somebody has a fan. Way to go, rock star.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Underpants Gnomes strike again.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

At least they're clean underpants.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Bingo
    [​IMG]

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What I love about this board is that someone gets underpants in the mail and automatically comes here to talk about it. 8)

9. What do you do when you get underwear in the mail?

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

have a smoke then go to bed?

11. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

"Why don't you have a seat right there, sir."

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I call Sandy's parole officer and tell him to check the ankle monitor.

Draft saved Draft deleted