1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Undercover Journalist or Disgruntled Enabler for Anonymous?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seemingly complicated case that really isn't. I don't buy his defense.

Matthew Keys, the deputy social media editor for Thomson Reuters, was suspended this week with pay after the feds charged him with helping the Anonymous hackers gain access into his former employer's CMS -- which led to a headline change and defacing at latimes.com. And this was after they say he had deleted thousands of Fox 40's Facebook and Twitter followers.

Lawyers say he was acting as a undercover journalist who went into "the dark corners of the Internet" to expose Anonymous. DOJ calls bullshit on that defense.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/15/matthew-keys-undercover_n_2885696.html

I was in a similar situation last year. Long story short, I gave them back the passwords.

Funny thing is, I got a frantic call months later on an early Sunday morning from the new Editor. I think it's when the Eagles fired Reid. The paper had nothing on its website and hadn't sent out a text alert. The regional publisher was pissed off and demanded a text alert at once! I was the only one who knew how to sent text alerts so I scrambled to remember my log-in and password and got it to him within 15 minutes. It had nothing to do with wanting to help the company that fired me. I just wanted to help an ex-teammate who was under the gun.

Edit: It wasn't Reid's firing. Maybe someone important died. Whatever it was broke in the morning.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Here, let's send that train down a side track ...

Keys's attorneys dispute that he turned over login information for the company's content management system and argue the charges against him set a "really scary" precedent for journalists.

“It is telling journalists that you can’t do what you need to do to bring the Anonymous story to the forefront," Leiderman said. "This is a nasty shot across the bow for all journalists that would seek to cover Anonymous."

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Disgruntled Enabler. Send his ass to prison.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dibs on Disgruntled Enabler as a future user name.

Draft saved Draft deleted