1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Undercover Boss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe they said new careers or entry level jobs.

If your job is to clean out port-o-lets or walk around with a bag picking up paper, you're not gonna be too sensitive.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

They told the front line workers they were shooting a documentary about a man trying "entry level" jobs in "a variety of fields."

For the most part, the Boss was the entry level position. He was working alone under a manager in two situations; with an "entry level" employee in another (cleaning toilets); and with an administrative assistant in the other.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thought it was a great tv. Shows the power of recognizing employees for their day to day efforts and dedication. Companies are always looking for complex/ expensive ways to motivate their employees instead of going for the simple "we recognize your efforts- thank you for what you do."

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Now that the show has been on a few times, I'm not loving it so much.
    Seeing the CEO on the front lines is interesting, but the last 15 minutes of each episode, where the people he worked with are rewarded, is turning the show into "Extreme Home Makeover, Work Edition."
    The boss isn't being dropped into random work sites. Producers seem to have done a lot of research to find employees with hard-luck stories.
    And the idea the Hooters manager got off with only an apology to his staff is appalling.
    Is it supposed to be a show about what happens in companies or an inspirational, help the down-and-out worker saga?
    If it's the second, I'll pass from now on.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

watched this for the first time last night, it was the guy from 7-11.

seemed interesting, I don't know how they could sustain it for multiple seasons.

For one thing, you'll get a CEO who is a toolbox and that wouldn't be what they want.

Second, I didn't like how the people at the end were all rewarded with better gigs. Seems to fall into the old, not what you know, but you know way up the corporate ladder.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What did the Hooters manager do?

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

What did the woman with the bad lightbulbs get?

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

He had waitresses who wanted to go home early compete in a contest where they ate beans straight off a plate with just their mouths.
    It appeared to be pretty degrading.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kids love this show. But it seems to be severely formulaic.

Boss grows beard checks into crappy motel.

Works at entry level jobs where he proves he's not every good.

Meets a worker with a real health problem, an undiscovered up-and-comer, someone who needs a break.

Finds some terrible secret -- garbage men/women are spied on to make sure they do their routes on time, Hooters manager is a pig, 7-11 is missing lights.

Then meets with the workers where they are recognized and rewarded.

Heck even the conference rooms and corporate staffs all look the same.

Still, it's a good idea. Just like a little more variety. Wonder how much say the corporate guys have in deciding what gets on air or not.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Hooters episode was just awful.

It's essentially an hourlong ad for the place, where they try to make it seem like the CEO gives a shit.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

having seen all 3 episodes, i think this show is fading.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

How long can they keep up this ruse? It won't take long for low-level workers at franchises to catch on to what's happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted