1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underappreciated flicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Mar 9, 2008.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Ruthless People: I don't see it mentioned too often with the classic comedy films (Animal House, Caddyshack, etc.), but I thought it was a really funny movie. The Zucker brothers showed they could make a good comedy without the silly sight gags.

Oscar: I guess this one has never been popular because critics and moviegoers didn't like Stallone trying comedy, but it was a funny, screwball movie. He also had a good supporting cast around him (Chazz Palmienteri, Peter Riegert, Marisa Tomei, Tim Curry).

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

how 'bout "high fidelity." granted, the book was better, but i always dug the movie. best part was on the cutting room floor, tho. on dvd's extras there is a scene where cusack goes to lady's house to scope out a collection for sale. turns out she wants to sell it dirt cheap because it's her husband's, and he's been caught cheating.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

i'll second "oscar". funny flick. good call. very underappreciated.

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

Ditto on Elephant ... love mostly anything Gus Van Sant does. Can easily agree on High Fidelity, which is probably one of my all-time favorites.

I can also add to the list a few potential selections: The Proposition (with Guy Pearce), Idiocracy, Closer, Bagger Vance, Layer Cake.

Oh, and Die Hard. That never gets enough play. That should have it's on USA network, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Amazon Women on the Moon
    National Lampoon's Class Reunion
    Death by Murder ... or is it Murder by Death?

Second-Hand Lions
    Where the Red Fern Grows

Sleuth ... Caine and Olivier at their best. Probaly not underappreciated, considering it was nominted for several awards, but you seldom ever see it replayed on TV.
    It has also been remade.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Beverly D'Angelo in that scene, too. (IIRC)

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mr. Holland's Opus

8. My vote is always, Local Hero.
    But, as an Altman fan, I'll vote for Cookie's Fortune.
    Catfish enchiladas!

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Jonathan Mardukas: "You're a grown man, Jack. You have control over your own words."
    Jack Walsh: "You're goddamn right. Now here come two words for you. Shut the fuck up!"

and ...
    Jimmy Cerrano: "Sidney, Sidney, don't say a fuckin' word, or I'll bury this telephone in your head."

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Django - One of the first spaghetti westerns, this film is the prototype to many action films which came after it.

The King of Comedy - Scorsese's best. You heard me.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Check that.

This movie blew me away in parts.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Scorsese gets tons of deserved love for films like Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, etc., but he has some underappreciated (or if not exactly underappreciated, at least less popularly recognized) work including Mean Streets, The Age of Innocence, and his remake of Cape Fear.

Draft saved Draft deleted