1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underappreciated flicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Mar 9, 2008.

1. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I watched Elephant once, and I can't bring myself to watch it again. I was just chilled by it. The whole thing made me uncomfortable. Does that mean it's really good? I don't think so.

2. Everything is Illuminated

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Absolutely. I've seen it more times than I could count. Fantastic film with a high rewatchability factor.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

BEST IN SHOW.

Please someone tell me they have seen it.

5. Uh, I'm guessing just about everyone has seen it.

It's not under-appreciated.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't be a doucebag, foaf.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Always liked the baseball movie "Long Gone."
    I believe it was made for HBO. It came out in late May 1987, but has never been put on DVD. It has been compared to Bull Durham since they came out at similar times, but I always liked "Long Gone" more.
    It's about a minor league baseball team called the Tampico (Fla.) Stogies and is set in the 1950s. It stars William Petersen (CSI), Virginia Madsen and Dermot Mulroney, and even has Teller (in a speaking role) of Penn & Teller fame.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's one of my favorite movies of all time, but I don't think it's underappreciated. Pretty highly rated by most, I've always thought.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Some of these have been mentioned already, and maybe some of you think these movies aren't underappreciated, but here's a few...

In America, Road to Perdition, Miller's Crossing, Michael Collins, 21 Grams, Swimming Pool, Sophie Scholl...

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

While I liked Without Limits I was always more of a fan of Prefontaine. Also, a good call on Suicide Kings and I don't think Boondock Saints in underappreciated anymore. I know a ton of people who have seen it, whereas about 3 years ago I knew hardly anyone that had seen it. I'll also throw Green Street Hooligans out there. I loved this film and know very people who have even heard of it.

Edit: Great calls by Beaker on Miller's Crossing and Michael Collins.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think most people who have seen it regard it highly. I just think that a move featuring Pacino and DeNiro, with that ensemble should have been a bigger hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted