1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underappreciated flicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

So, had a discussion with another board member yesterday that ended when I realized "The Thomas Crown Affair" was on the tube. One of my all-time faves, though not many share my sentiment. It started me thinking -- SportsJournalists.comers, what flicks are some of your faves that you seem to be alone in cherishing?
    Mine?
    Crown Affair -- Pierce Brosnan, Rene Russo version. Original was okay, but I really dig the remake. Denis Leary, too. Great soundtrack.

Sabrina -- Again, the remake. Hate Bogart in the original. Remake with Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear was so cool. Julia Ormond was good in the titular role. But Ford was just so great in it. Critics panned it, and I think I'm the only one of the planet that owns the DVD.

The Italian Job -- Breaking tradition, I go with the original here. Just quirky, fun British flick. Michael Caine is great in it, and it also stars -- hold onto your caps -- Benny Hill.

... and though it's not high on my list, borrowing from the "Clerks" discussion on the board, I'll go on record as admitting that I might be the only cat around that liked his "Jersey Girl." It was out the vein of his regular fare, which is why Smith fans probably rag on it so much, but I thought it was a sweet little movie. Carlin was great in it, as were his two sidekicks (Stephen Root and ????). Affleck was Affleck, and I could go a lifetime without seeing JHo on screen, but the little girl was cute, it was a sentimental flick, and I took it for what it was. (Even liked the "Sweeney Todd" number).

So, anyone else wanna kick in and proclaim their minority opinions?

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I watch "40 Days and 40 Nights" whenever it's on Comedy Central.

Then again, that may have more to do with my lack of a social life than actually liking the movie.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I loved Jersey Girl in the theater and each time I've watched it on DVD. Raquel Castro was phenomenal in every way. What a cute and talented little girl. If she doesn't hit Broadway and stick there for years when she's older, I'd be shocked.

Carlin is very good in the dramatic role, and he nails the comedic parts -- but that goes without saying.

I've got a little thing for Affleck, so I could watch a tape Damon took of Ben pinching a loaf and probably give you a sparkling review, but I was a fan. His scene with Castro, where he yelled at her in front of her room was fantastic.

Smith is a brilliant, brilliant man. He can do whatever he fucking wants. And he'll do it better than most.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Diggstown. Great con/boxing movie with James Woods, Louis Gossett Jr., Bruce Dern, Randall "Tex" Cobb and Oliver Platt.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The new Thomas Crown Affair was a perfectly fine film. And Rene Russo's love scene...skfsjkldfjassdfkljds.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The only redeeming quality to the Thomas Crown Affair was Rene Russo's cans. Absolutely phenomenal when you consider she was 45 when that was filmed.

I've owned Jersey girl for three or four years and still haven't seen it.

On these kinds of threads I'm always quick to point out "True Romance," written by Tarantino (he sold it so that he could make "Pulp Fiction") and starring a boatload of big names.
    I'll throw these out there (a few are appreciated by this board but not by the public at large):
    Boondock Saints
    Hard Candy
    Suicide Kings
    The Virgin Suicides
    Return to Paradise
    Matchstick Men
    Brokedown Palace
    King of New York
    Poolhall Junkies
    Empire of the Sun
    In America

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

The scene where the limbless guy lights the cigarette is one of the most extraordinary things ever filmed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

October Sky, Donnie Darko, Mean Girls, Saved, Road To Perdition

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just saw "Boondock Saints" recently for the first time -- I was bored, it was on, so I caught it. Liked it enough to rent it and see it unedited. Tremendous flick. "I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point." Tremendous.

11. Jersey Girl is pretty good if you don't expect a Jay and Silent Bob movie.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'll never understand why Heat doesn't get wider acclaim.

Draft saved Draft deleted