1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Under / over on # of Cuban Americans moving back to Cuba after Castro dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think the ones that do go back might find that they won't be welcomed as they might think.

A better question would be if Castro is overthrown, how many Cubans would come to the United States.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't know where folks got the impression that anything would drastically change upon Castro's death. It's been 50 years now. The smart thing would be for the US to use Castro's death as political cover to lift the embargo and begin normalizing relations. That would bring about more change than Castro's death.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Castro's death, in a small way, will make the world a better place.

Celebrating his demise isn't something I agree with but I can certainly understand why the exile community would consider it reason to give thanks.

Also, to blame Cuba's problems in any way on the US boycott is ridiculous. Anyone making that argument is essentially saying a country has to have good trade relations with the United States to survive.

Castro has been in power for nearly 50 years and could very easily have found another avenue to supply his country with what it needs to thrive through nations other than the USA. Cuba's suffering is soley Castro's doing. Blaming the United States is another useless exercise in America-bashing from idiots like our boy JR.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. I'd stick to Islam bashing if I were you because it's clear that you don't know anything about international trade or economic development.

If you think that the draconian U.S. embargo on Cuba hasn't had any effect on Cuba's economic development, then you're clearly out of your league in discussing this.

Have you heard of the Helms-Burton act? Probably not.

Most of the civilized world is-- and has been against the embargo for decades. Oh, but I forgot, when people are critical of this and other examples of U.S. foreign policy such as invading foreign countries, the big brains like yourself take umbrage and see it as "America bashing".

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

One. The dude that thought it was a travesty to let little Elian go and said America wasn't a good place anymore that he was allowed to go back. I remember the guy, right in front of an MSNBC camera. Then he went back to his ripple.

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I'd love to see the embargo end on all things EXCEPT cigars. The embargo is what keeps them affordable. The production of Cohibas is already going full steam ahead, as they are legal everywhere but the US. If they are made legal and available here, demand will skyrocket, supply will remain constant and the price will get ridiculous.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

why do i think this? because i live in miami. i talk to and listen to cubans. i'm not talking about a massive land grab but more than a couple of folks are going to go over there and fight to get back their land.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What are they waiting for? They've had 50 years to go back and fight for their property? What makes them think anything is going to change because Castro dies? Just curious. How would this "reclaiming" of property work?

Exiled Cuban: Excuse me, sir, but that building you're occupying used to be my place of business. Could you please leave the premises?
    Cuban: Ha ha ha ha ha.

I've spoken with many Cubans, too. Many talk a big game but most of them understand they lost the war and they aren't getting their property back.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As they used to say, "Suck it up, Princess".

Talk about tilting at windmills.

Draft saved Draft deleted