1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Under Armour Get Ready For August Commercial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To me it looks like he leads with crown of helmet as his head is initially down.

If anything it highlights the impossibility of executing a perfectly "safe" tackle in
    high speed. Back is running too high also. In old days he would have lowered his
    helmet to protect himself.

Perhaps kudos to UA for the willingness to to show the game as it is and not how
    The New York Times wants it to be. Surprised though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. silent_h

silent_h Member

I think the notion that football tackling can be made safer for the brain - that we can, in Roger Goodell's words, "take the head out of the game" - via teaching some sort of correct form is a comforting delusion intended to: (a) reassure rightfully nervous parents; (b) subtly shift injury liability onto players themselves.

I wrote more about it here:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/43419226/

I hate to fault people for trying, but in this case, the trying will do more harm than good, and is also fundamentally dishonest.

3. Boom_70

Hey that's a really good column that address issues well. The USA tackling technique is not easy for kids to learn. It's
    a very athletic move that many younger kids are not able to do and end up getting steamrolled and bumping the
    back of their heads on turf, thus defeating the original intention of new technique. The pioneer for the technique
    is a guy by the name of Thurmond Moore who use to coach for The Chargers. I've been to the clinic and while
    his idea is well intentioned there is no impirical evidence that it's any better if not more dangerious.

Maybe UA is being intentionally honest in their commercial.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, but southern U.P. hockey is crap! LOL

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Helmet goes to the side of the ball carrier, shoulder pad in his gut, drive your legs and plant their ass in the turf. Did anyone else learn this growing up?

Done to perfection at the :35 mark.

6. Boom_70

That's a pretty good clip and I think safest way to teach. That said. tackler in clip
    looks a bit over extended. Needs to get his butt down more and head up. They call it
    "neck bulled" . Eyes to goal post and not to ground. See what you are hitting otherwise you will be grabbing air.

7. Boom_70

So it turns out that Ray Lewis was Executive Director of that commercial and provided creative.

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2013/7/9/4505994/ray-lewis-produces-commercial-for-under-armour

8. Boom_70

In the unintended consequences category DJ Swearinger claims that we went low on
    tackle that Dustin Keller tore his ACL because he was concerned with getting fined if
    he went high.

You can see the tackle at around the 1.46 mark of clip:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231619/article/swearinger-went-low-on-dolphins-keller-to-avoid-fine

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As for the commercial, it's really as good as it gets.

10. Boom_70

For this hit Joe Bostic as fined $21,000 by the NFL. Does not look much different from tackle in
    UA commercial.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000232296/article/jon-bostic-fined-21k-for-hit-in-bearschargers-game

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bostic shouldn't have been fined for that hit, in my opinion.

But there was helmet to helmet contact (incidental -- it should be pretty clear that he was not trying to spear Willie, which is why I hate these fines. Football is physical. Accept it.).

The rule is that you can't lower your head against a helpless defender, and the helmet to helmet was the league's rationale for a fine.

I still don't think it is clear that the kid in your commercial even made contact with his helmet, let alone lowered his head and came in helmet to helmet. When I watched it, I heard pads popping. I know the sound. And in the screen capture I grabbed and posted earlier on the thread, it looks very clear to me that he was leading with his shoulder, and his head was to the side. If his head did make contact, it wasn't because he was leading with it.

Compare this screen capture to the one I posted earlier on the thread.

[​IMG]

The kid from your commercial is leading with his shoulder and he caught the kid from the side. Bostic was leading with his head (and crunched helmets with Willie) and came in head on.

12. Boom_70

Certainly the NFL can get any picture and video they want so I am not
    doubting what they saw. It just highlights the problem this rule will be
    to enforce on a bang bang play like that.

So Bostic goes low and receiver tears his ACL, no fine but receiver is
    out for year or worse.

There just does not seem to be a happy medium.

Draft saved Draft deleted