1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Under Armour Get Ready For August Commercial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just saw this commercial and had to find it on You Tube to see if my eyes deceived me. Basically it's a high energy
    1 minute of the first day of a HS football practice. Last part shows an Oklahoma drill with unblocked LB who
    comes in and leads with his helmet to spear RB in the numbers to drive him into the ground.
    Coach excitedly jumps in and grabs tackler and pats him on back.

Perhaps a commercial for another era but in this day and age I am shocked that someone did not catch the
    the poor tackling technique and what many now say is dangerous.

Watch for yourself:

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That's soooo July 15th: https://twitter.com/spikechiquet/status/356957595057143808

:)

3. Boom_70

Props . You were on it.

4. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Good lord. It's a kid tackling another kid. Maybe UA should've had him gently wrap up and spin'em to the ground extra softly. That would sell a lot of gear. That said, I hope my kid wants to play golf.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My wife said our kid is allowed to play most sports, except football...or wrestling (the singlets freak her out LOL).

6. Boom_70

Look I love football more than most but the tackling technique the kid uses is not even suppose to be taught any more
    at a high school level. You'll note that he leads with the crown of his helmet and plants his face mask right in runners
    numbers. A perfect form tackle for days gone by but not in the current landscape.

Just surprised that a company like Under Armour would not recognize this. It creates a contradiction with the players.

Their coaches are telling them not to lead with their helmets and then they watch this cool commercial.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

We were taught to go in face first, not head first, and I graduated back in '87. The technique described above sounds far from proper form used decades ago.

8. Boom_70

The technique taught now is to lead with shoulder. There is also a new wave that is teaching to lead with chest, wrap arms, roll hips and lift.

It's what USA Football is promoting:

http://usafootball.com/news/featured-articles/tackle-progression-model-promotes-fundamentals-and-player-safety

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jet defenders play the safest brand of football by not tackling anyone.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

After our son was born, nothing freaked my wife out like the thought he might someday play hockey.

Maybe that's why we moved out of northern Michigan ... ;)

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just watched the commercial several times. Is it really clear that the kid led with his head? Because I am not seeing definitively.

I tried to stop it a bunch of times, and from the camera angle I can't tell what he hits with. It does make the shoulder pad popping sound, though.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To me, it looks like he led with his shoulder. Which matches up with the pad popping sound you hear. Here is the video capture.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted