1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Undefeated says Jimmy Kimmel out of line with jokes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Feb 27, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I generally like Clinton Yates and enjoy his work, but this column-length whine about Jimmy Kimmel is off base. Bringing the tour bus people inside was condescending and exploitive? Those people seemed to be having the time of their lives and now have a story to tell for life.

Jimmy Kimmel was out of pocket at the Oscars Making fun of names is so outdated, and ‘La La Land’ doesn’t need more awards

Making fun of the girl's name -- Yulerie -- was a little lame, and the Lion king stunt was dumb. But among an evening's worth of jokes, these seem like minor quibbles. And certainly not worthy of an entire column. JFC, lighten up. He was making fun of everyone.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Tweeter Shia La Poof is upset with Kimmel making fun of people's names. Classic.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In general, I think making fun of people's names is dumb. But it was such an unusual name -- an not really in an ethnic way -- to say her named rhymed with jewelry was not out of line.

If you harp on that or the Lion King thing, you're just looking for reasons to be upset.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Jesus Christ that was a mess to read. When did The Undefeated get bought out by Buzzfeed? Did I miss something?

Fran Curci likes this.
  5. Outrage for the sake of outrage.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think everyone expected a night of trashing Trump. That didn't happen. There was some, but nothing over the top. It was about the awards, not the politics. But it seems like the author was seeking support for an "all about politics" premise.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Isn't that the entire reason blogs and Twitter exist?

Ace likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't like his work that much, which is why I stopped reading it for the most part. This piece wasn't much better.

But it got me to thinking.

Why do we expect The Undefeated to be consistently be great? Shouldn't it, ultimately, be like every online site that has great work and some shitty work? Grantland had stinky stuff on a consistent basis.

9. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Very soon, there needs to be a mandatory class about WTF the actual definition of racism is. Because Warren Beatty saying to his co-presenter, "Something is wrong," followed by the resulting outcome, is not anywhere close to "institutionalized thinking" or whatever the angry writer claims.

10. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I don't have the time to burn to read the piece (and Clinton Yates is very good, mind you), but criticism of Kimmel's name jokes were all over Twitter Sunday and Monday.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There is definitely a lot of that at The Undefeated, for some reason.

Potter likes this.
  12. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

Anyone saying Clinton Yates is very good couldn't have ever read Clinton Yates' work.

This is par for the course - both the faux outrage and me rolling my eyes by the 17th word.

Fran Curci likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted