1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Undeclared - or another "how come nobody told me" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 1, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got little room to talk. So ... I'm on the right.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

BYH, do you have a top 5 from the 18?

I think these would be mine.....

1. Seven Minutes of Heaven
    2. Series Finale (Daniel plays D&D with the ubergeeks and Lindsay says goodbye to Ripple)
    3. Neil finds out the truth about his dad
    4. Bill eats Peanuts
    5. Halloween episode

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seven Minutes is the one where Bill makes out with the cheerleader, right? That's an easy no. 1. The best scene I've ever seen. It was so perfect, with Bob Seger's "You'll Accompany Me" playing, that it almost made me cry. Seriously. Fuck. I'm such a chick.

No real argument with your top five, or anyone's top five, but off the top of my head, I'd go with:

1.) Seven Minutes
    2.) The pilot, with "Come Sail Away" kicking in just as Sam is about to dance with Cindy
    3.) the episode with Bill coming home from school alone watching TV and laughing
    4.) Kim Kelly Is My Friend (dark, dark, so very dark)
    5.) the finale

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The scene with Bill coming home and watching TV was genius. He was watching Dinah F-ing Shore and guffawing, while eating grilled cheese. Sheer brilliance!

5. Moddy, no beating around the bush with you.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They are all so fucking razor sharp.

Very hard to be convinced of even my own top 5.

I guess a couple of mine hit on some parental involvement in the episode (Bill's mom at the hospital, Mrs. Weir losing Lindsay on Halloween, then getting her back.... those sorts of little additive scenes hit with me as a parent almost as much as the memories rush back watching the scenes with the kids).

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

The brilliance of it was how Martin Starr straddled the line between laughing and crying. It was so clear he was watching TV b/c it was his only companion. He was laughing, but there was an undeniable layer of sadness to it.

Was that the episode where the coach starts dating his mom? My God, that was a great one.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and bill's mom was hot. very hot. and she went out with biff. go figure.

the peanut episode was great -- especially the ending

also, zack and miri is kevin smith's latest. it's supposed to start shooting this month

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You guys should check out Alan Sepinwall's analysis of each episode of Freaks and Geeks, which he went back and did for his blog during a slow TV time during last summer. Good stuff.

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/search/label/Freaks%20and%20Geeks

(Scroll down to the bottom and read from the bottom up.)

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The baseball playoffs have killed more shows on Fox than anything else.
    I believe that Futurama was also caught in the baseball net as well.

And the 4400 is still on. I swear I saw season 4 wrap and I thought it was coming back for another season. It is one USA. Not awful by any stretch, as the sc-fi goes, a little like Heroes, before Heroes mades its appearance.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The 4400 has been cancelled.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I did not know that. Well crappity, crap, I actually was looking forward to see how they did season 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted