1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uncut magazine top 150 albums of the decade

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I respect Bob Dylan as much as the next guy, but he doesn't belong in the top 10. And he certainly shouldn't be there twice.

I own 54 of 150 albums, but can't say I agree with the majority of this list.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The fact that two Steely Dan related albums and "A Bigger Bang" made their list stood out for me more than that.

Also, I like the White Stripes and all, but there's no way that every single album that Jack White appeared on this decade should make the top 150.

3. Trey Beamon

I agree. The Stripes' past two records have been pretty uneven. And The Raconteurs' work, while very good, isn't what I consider essential.

Hell, they even picked the wrong WS album to top the list. White Blood Cells can't hold a candle to Elephant.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The more I look at this list, the dumber it gets.

No U2 album makes the top 150? Seriously? The Stones make it, but not "All That You Can't Leave Behind"?

As for Dylan, "Modern Times" was pretty damn good, but I always thought "Love and Theft" was wildly overrated.

It's populated with a whole lot of critical darlings that really aren't all that good. Fleet Foxes put out a cute little record, but it ain't top 10.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Backlash against massive mainstream popularity (see also: one Coldplay album at 130-something). No Muse? And is Elliott Smith really that good? A friend of mine worships him, but he's the epitome of hipster dude, and he's very frontal about it, so my instinct is to run screaming.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I own exactly two of the albums on that list. I have individual songs from a few others.

I'm so unhip, it's just heartbreaking. But then, I wondered why Metallica's Death Magnetic and Slayer's God Hates Us All didn't make the list. And I'm a little surprised, considering how many once-great acts had their latest subpar works make it, that the Eagles' Long Road Out Of Eden didn't find a place.

7. Trey Beamon

May have to double check, but I didn't see a Spoon album listed either.

Bull. Crap.

8. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

no lucero? blah.

9. PCLoadLetter

Honestly, I think they have the Elliott Smith album really underrated. He was brilliant. Not for everyone, though. Put it this way: he died when he stabbed himself through the heart, and I can't imagine anyone who had listened closely to his songs was particularly surprised. (There is a school of thought that he was murdered, which strikes me as fairly absurd.)

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can anyone figure out the point to listing 150 albums that came out in the last nine years?

I mean, my initial reaction is a pretty strong, "If you think there have been 150 great albums released since 2000, I don't care to figure out where you ranked them."

11. PCLoadLetter

One other note, as I look back over the top albums on that list...

Brian Wilson's "Smile" is spectacularly overrated. Yes, the whole story behind it is intriguing, and I'm one of those who nabbed a copy right when it came out, anxious to hear the great lost masterpiece. It isn't anywhere close to "Pet Sounds," despite every critic's great wish that it would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted