1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uncorked

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Oct 7, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

From the analogies section of the AP/Standardized Cliche test:

Wild pitch is to uncorked as bus is to __________.

A. Accident

B. Incident

C. Plunge

D. Wreck

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, I'm not saying it SHOULD be. I was just questioning the blanket statement that it didn't have a sporting context.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Some interesting responses. And some silly ones, too. But I appreciate the help and I'm sorry I started a thread that upset so many people. I simply found it a bit difficult to explain the use of the word uncorked, only when describing a wild pitch. I never hear it with anything else, other than someone opening a wine bottle. And that's another kettle of fish.

Now I'll go back to sleep before any more people get mad at me.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Not your fault, casty. Perfectly fine and dandy thread infested with the usual suspects.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

The AP gamer from Friday's Indians-Yankees game did:
    http://www.charlotte.com/472/story/307439.html

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Once in a while you'll hear of a shortstop or third baseman who uncorked a wild throw into the seats after it sailed over the head of the first baseman. Or maybe the throw from the outfield goes sailing over the catcher or third baseman and out of play. Though sometimes the throw also just got away from him instead.

For the most part though, uncorked is almost always a wild pitch. I don't mind the term personally, but it also wouldn't bother me to see other terms used instead.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ejaculated? ;)

I do agree with the general sentiment though. This is one of those words -- much like scattered -- that you should probably try to avoid, mostly because it has become verbal shorthand and no longer conjures a picture. This is a bigger problem in baseball than anywhere else, I think.

But if you could use the term -- "scattered 8 hits," "uncorked a wild pitch," -- while writing up the game from a box score, it's too generic to use. Just describe what happened instead -- tell the reader if it bounced in front of home or hit the tip of the catcher's glove or whatever.

All that said, that's why you probably see it so much in wire copy: It's a kind of shorthand, and time is of the essence.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Game-ending: 11 characters.
    Walkoff: 7 characters.

Both are well-understood by readers and walkoff is shorter. I see no reason not to use walkoff other than the fact that TV people use it (god forbid!).

Back to the thread.

PS -- at least you argued for "game-ending" and not "game-winning" which is both longer and not as specific.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Write walkoff when I'm editing, and it won't get in. Jargon. And not as many people know what it means as you think. I know my parents don't, and it's not as if they don't watch (and read about) sports.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It makes sense to me, tho it is a trite term. Uncorked, I tend to think, means wild and uncontrollable -- like the popping of a champagne bottle.
    Sorry, but not surprised, you had trouble with this thread.

11. I'm going with "decorked", myself.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'll be using "decanted" next season.

Draft saved Draft deleted