1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unconstitutionalcare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 12, 2011.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Agreed. That's why this market-based solution is so terrible.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

At least you guys are honest.

Most of this talk about "insurance reform" is BS. The left wants health care to be a government service.

And then, the politically connected will have their hospitals & doctors, and the rest of us will have ours.

3. J Staley

J Staley Member

I'm sure government run health care would have its problems, but if it allowed everybody to get the care they need (key word), then that's better than our current system.

Health care is not a car. You're bank account shouldn't determine what you get -- though if you want something like cosmetic surgery, then you should be able to pay for that out of your pocket if you want/can.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Exactly. I can't for the life of me figure out why people are more OK with corporations making these decisions than the government.

5. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

That's what we used to want, anyway. Then Obama decided he had to get something passed for political reasons, so he passed what amounts to a massive, heavily regressive middle-class tax increase paid directly to private insurance companies and cementing their place in the system. And for some reason I have yet to fathom, the liberals cheered.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Very well said.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is a pretty slippery slope. We're about half a sentence away from declaring illness a moral failing.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I didn't get that at all from that sentence.

There is absolutely a contradiction in this country where people will run to the doctor for just about anything, but won't take the time to exercise for a half-hour a day or eat an asparagus stalk once in a while instead of a Big Mac.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Policy decisions would have to be made for large groups of patients, not individuals. With limited resources and you had to choose a group of people to provide aggressive cancer therapy v. palliative care....would it be to the smoking cohort or the non-smoking?
    If you denied one group, could they go outside the system to obtain care? Would they be able to buy alternative insurance? Would there be an individual appeal process?
    For smoking, the moral question might ask...if you read the cigarette packaging understood that smoking causes cancer and death, why would you expect to be treated? That said, it would be reasonable to have a user tax on tobacco that generated enough funds to pay for the health related consequences. How many hundreds of dollars a pack?

Draft saved Draft deleted