1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

uncompensated overtime

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Aug 14, 2006.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

When I started my part-time paper job years ago, it was at the start of fall tab season. We were (and still are) on two-week pay periods. I can't remember the exact amount, buy my hours for that two-week stretch went way, way beyond the normal part-time hours and into overtime land.
    The pencil pushers went ballistic and complained to my sports editor, who told them -- politely -- that it was too bad and to cut the check because the work had to get done and there's only a short amount of time to do it.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I worked at a shop as a manager and was appalled -- absolutely appalled -- to find that they had made it a non-spoken policy that the hourly workers would work more than 40 hours but only turn in 40. It was one of the reasons I was only at the place for five-six months. Not only did it offend me, as a manager I felt vulnerable to being named in a lawsuit.

This wasn't some backwoods place either. Well, that's a relative term. It was a city big enough to be considered a metro market, put it like that. Nor was it in some obscure chain that wouldn't know better.

I found out later than my replacement quit after a few months for the same reason.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Wish I'd had that attitude at my last shop. Moreso, my wife wishes that. It was a small daily with two in sports, four in news. Other sports guy and I covered the snot out of the local prep sports scene (five schools), stayed up late doing stories, pics and layout then back in before crack of dawn. I couldn't bring myself to only work 40 hours, figuring the readers deserved better. If I had, I could have gone home Thursday morning and been done for the week.
    When I was hired, I was told there was OT. Then that was cleared up: my editor had to approve it, and he was under heavy pressure from above to not grant OT. I was there about 18 months, believe I got OT three times for extra-busy weeks. So I did two timecards each pay period. I kept track of the real hours, then did a doctored one showing 40 hours and put the real one in my desk in case I ever decided to call the Dept. of Labor and force the company to pay OT. Many times I was tempted to blow the whistle, especially when I knew I was leaving, but I didn't.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Good for you 2. You are my heroes. Everybody in sports at our shop must work 60 or more and get paid for 40. The key is you have to sign your life away each week saying you only worked 40. You sign it, you can't sue.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't have to sue. You only need to call the Department of Labor.

However, if you are an exempt employee -- and I could see a small paper making the one- or two-person sports staff exempt employees -- then you can work till the cows come home. But I don't know that you necessarily would need to fill out a time sheet.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do what Murphy does, Fredrick. Have two timesheets. Keep records. If you can prove that they are screwing you, they won't fire you, for fear that they'll get slapped with a big-ass lawsuit.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My place is screwed if the Dept. of Labor ever compares mileage records to time sheets.
    Mileage is honest to the T, so if I get work and get mileage on Saturday, I list it and get reimbursed. But my time sheet will say I didn't work that day.
    I suspect that's the case at lots of places. Expenses are honest, time sheets aren't.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's all about managing your hours. We are paid OT at my job, but the recent directive has been no OT hours (unless pre-approved during busy playoff time, etc). But at the same time, my bosses make sure that we are out the door at 40 hours.

As others have said just make sure its a productive 40 hours and you are working to your full potential.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is a good idea. Thanks.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In some cases I wonder if the unpaid overtime is something that bosses demand or expect or if it's something that the underpaid workers just assume is expected of them or what they figure is the minimum needed to do the job correctly.

It could be that the boss sees you turn in 40 hours every week and figures if you're willing to do that, he's not going to complain.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At my first job, the attitude of my bosses was, "Do whatever it takes. It's part of your job." If it took 40, it took 40. If it took 50, it took 50. They paid me a weekly salary.

And I had been told by some people that other reporters worked 70 hours a week at that job. I simply refused and would tell the bosses that I already had plans.

Draft saved Draft deleted