1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!!

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ditto.

I know my kids would hate being on that team.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It sounds like going for two is just normal for them.

9 TDs in first quarter x 8 = 72.

I can't imagine they would have had 11 possessions (8 TDs + PAT + 3 FGs).

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That's pretty impressive. We had a team go on a similar run about 25 years ago. They shut out and blew out every single opponent for 11 straight weeks. In the second round of the playoffs, they gave up a touchdown on the first drive of the game and went on to lose to a team (John Curtis Christian) nobody had really heard of at the time.

That team (John Curtis) has now won 24 state titles and is widely considered one of the best high school football programs in the country.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

JR -

Classifications are based on a school's enrollment figures, so regardless of who they play in the regular season they are playing against similar-sized schools in the state playoffs.
    And on the other end of the spectrum, since Kansas started allowing two teams from each district to qualify for the state playoffs, in class 4A I counted four teams with 3-6 records and one 4-5 team making the state playoffs. That is just wrong. There was even a 2-7 team in class 2-1A that made it, the only wins coming in district play.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

There's good and bad to it.

Team out here goes 7-0 through the first seven weeks.....ranked as high as number 4 in the state......lose 2 of their 3 district games and don't make the playoffs.

Other team goes 0-7 through the first seven weeks.....win all 3 of their district games and make it in.

I like the idea in theory where you have to win your district games, but it makes the regular season insignificant.

BTW- The 72 points scored in the first quarter last night....set a national record.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Some millionare should fly in Southlake Carroll, Lakeland, Upper St. Clair or Jenks to face off against these idiots.

I think Smith Center would be reduced to bloody piles of snot. Oh, I'm sorry, make that crying, bloody piles of snot.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

What kind of enrollment does those schools have?

Smith Center's enrollment, grades 10, 11 and 12, officially submitted on Sept. 20, 2007 was 112.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If safety's are being brought into the equation, then it could be 10TD's and a safety.

If the scores are all off the first or second play of the drive, and the defense is forcing fumbles off the opposing offense, it could be feasible to have 10 possesions in a quarter. Heck, they could be returning fumbles for touchdowns as well.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Exactly.

So this school should stop playing like they could beat God, JC and nine prophets.

40-0 will get you the state title as well.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would be more curious to see Smith Center play Hutchinson, the three-time Class 6A champions (biggest class in Kansas) who have won 31 straight games. Enrollment 112 vs. enrollment 1,000-plus.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Was that Covington? I think I saw that game.

Draft saved Draft deleted