1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

They'll have to play some good teams in the playoffs, and if they get to the state finals, they'll probably play Pittsburg-Colgan, which didn't lose a game for five or six years a couple years ago. It's a 32-team playoff bracket, so they played a low seed tonight.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

School now 6th nationally with 49 straight wins.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Colgan? Or Smith Center?

Never mind, has to be Smith Center, because I think they're the team that snapped Colgan's win streak a couple years ago.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Last loss was quarterfinals of 2003 Football playoffs.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Ahh, Pittsburg-Colgan: The best team money can buy in the state of Kansas.

Some of the private schools are bad, St. Thomas Aquinas and Bishop Carroll come to mind. But nobody buys state titles better than Colgan.

6. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Coo de gras is the big chief operations officer.

And JR ... come on, that's like 2-0 every week in soccer. It's damn impressive.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

So they're up by 72 points after one quarter, and go for a conversion in the second quarter?

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yup. They should really have to play in 3A, at least. Haven't been able to buy one for a couple years, though.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm gonna go ahead and guess safety on that one. I hope so, anyway.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I was hoping that too.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Uh.

No.

They went for two.

Running clock after halftime.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I never went to a private school, nor do I have any ties to southeast Kansas, but I've heard people say that a lot about Colgan. And yet, most of the best kids there are, 1) coach's sons, or 2) sons of parents you can probably find in yearbooks 20, 30, 40 years ago. I know that was the case with the kids who were part of the then-state record winning streak, because I did the research.

Re: Smith Center, this team is amazing. Mostly seniors, so there will be a drop off -- back to 45-7 wins -- when this class graduates in the spring. If only this team could somehow play Hutch this season.

Re: going for two, like Claflin during its dominant years, I doubt they have anyone who could kick well so they simply go for two every time. Small-town teams don't have soccer teams to pull a kicker from.

Draft saved Draft deleted