1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unbelievable...World Media Comes to UC Davis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Nov 22, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Very hard to believe that the Occupy movement's signature moment may be the pepper spraying incident at UC Davis, my alma mater. Davis was, and has always been, a place of high academic achievement where the students did not mind that Davis was not Berkeley or Westwood; they just put their heads down and studied to prepare for grad school or their chosen career paths. UC Davis' student body is a majority of science majors I believe.

When I was there, Desmond Tutu gave a speech about South Africa and divestment of investments in South Africa and it was the most powerful political moment I ever experienced, there were 10,000 people on our quad.

As for the incident itself, its appalling to me as an alumnus. However given how many people there are in this world, this one isolated incident does not make me think that the whole UC davis administration is intolerant.

Sad that UC Davis will be known for this for the next few years much like Kent State is ingrained in our minds.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Whoa...whoa...whoa...slow down there chief.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here I thought the most pub that would come to UC Davis this year would be the SI article that was written about the TCU coach (a former Aggies assistant).

My aunt worked at UC Davis. We would shuttle up from the Bay Area to see her and my cousins all the time. Very nice campus, very good school.

Amazing to see it in the news for something like this. As you said, this is not Berkeley.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is a big deal.

The Chancellor had to be out in front of this after it happened. She wasn't. She failed hugely. The term "jackbooted thugs" gets thrown around a lot on this board but holy shit, what an image to show, in contrast to the nonviolent sitters.

[​IMG]

btw, this silent protest is incredibly strong.

5. Mizzougrad96

"Don't mace me bro!"

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts when I read that, qt's getting WAY carried away with that one. This is a temporary story of the moment soon to pass. Should not be compared to Kent State.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It gets compared to Kent State in that the impact wasn't just the event, but where it was. Kent State was hardly known as a hippie haven before the shootings, just like UC Davis wasn't known as a bastion of liberal dissent before the pepper spray incident.

Certainly as a tragedy there is no comparison.

8. Mizzougrad96

Was that campus security or the Davis PD?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The right-wing shriekosphere is in a veritable fist-pumping orgasm over this, howling that it needs to happen nationwide at every OWS location.

"Stamp it out now like they should have done with the hippies in the 60s" a favorite mantra.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Here's hoping the macing officer enjoys at least a couple of the thousands of pizzas Anonymous will be ordering in his name.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Give them the taser! {beavis}

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Any truth to the rumor that local haunt Redrum Burger is changing its name to Tluassa Burger?

Draft saved Draft deleted