1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unbelievable stuff in Ridder from St. Paul to Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 13, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Few will have time to read this now, but this is the suit the Star-Tribune filed.

The depth of what they accuse Par Ridder of doing when he went from publisher of one paper to publisher of another is astounding.

http://extras.twincities.com/pdfs/ridder_suit.pdf

If you decide to plow through it, read the top, then skip down to about page 14-15.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, A) it's off the front page and B) this is new stuff. So I only accept a little of that. :)

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Wow.

Talk about being bold in your deception.

(By the way, SF, you've got it backwards. The Pi Press filed this suit.)

It's awesome that the Pi Press was able to dig up all that stuff through computer tracing programs about how much stuff they copied and stole.

I wonder what the hell the kind of damages the Pi Press is seeking? Does it say and I just missed it?

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing. And let this be a reminder to all of you: If you're using a work computer, company cell phone, e-mail servers, etc., you have NO EXPECTATION that anything for which you use that machine will remain private.

6. FileNotFound

To be determined at trial, the suit says. (And yeah, I'm reading every word. This is fascinating as hell.)

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They don't want Ridder and two others to work for the Strib for one year, want the computers back and they don't want the information that was "taken" to be used by the Strib.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This stuff is amazing. But once Ridder has leaked things like budgets and advertising rates to the Strib, how can that be undone? What a lousy deal for the Pi Press, but they'll certainly do well in the court of public opinion.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Really? You really think a reader cares about any of this?

10. FileNotFound

Readers who are interested in business or legal matters will find this quite entertaining.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Punitive Damages.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wow. It's incredible how sleazy some people can be.

I had to sign a non-compete in the 1990s. I still haven't blabbed the financial information I was given. I don't especially like the company, but I wouldn't want the average working people there to suffer any more than they already do.

Draft saved Draft deleted