1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unbalanced sports rivalries/series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is true. The KU-Mizzou football series is pretty even. KU leads 55-53-9. Basketball is a different story. KU leads 167-94.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I always thought it was Ga-Fla until a buddy went to Ga. He sent an email a few years ago about the Ga-Auburn rivalry, don't remember the specifics but it was good.

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Oklahoma-Oklahoma State is like that. Pokes fans HATE the Sooner nation, which is turn filled with rage aimed at the University of Texas.

It's weird.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Auburn leads its football series with Ole Miss 25-9

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good observation, I've thought about that too. 17 years after joining, Arkansas still feels kinda like an outsider in the SEC. And they felt kinda like an outsider in SWC before that. It's a big time program without a conference where they naturally "fit."

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I don't know if there are necessarily rivals, but I decided to check out some series records for Iowa wrestling, figuring there might be some lopsided series.

The Hawkeyes are
    72-8-3 against Wisconsin
    65-7-1 against Northwestern
    41-8-2 against Northern Iowa
    34-2 against Ohio State
    35-4-3 against Purdue
    23-0 against Lehigh
    18-0 against Drake
    24-1-1 against Arizona State

and surprisingly (which definitely fits into this thread), they are 56-16-2 against Iowa State.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

The WLOCP is a funny rivalry; both Georgia and Florida have had relatively long periods of kicking the other team's ass. Georgia's last one was the 70s and 80s, Florida's owned the 90s and 00s.

I'd nominate Georgia/Clemson for the Dawgs' most unbalanced rivalry. They don't play much these days, but it's 41-17-4 in favor of Georgia.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

One strange thing about Arkansas is that it seems to be considered a SEC also-ran among most national commentators, especially in football. I think most people would be surprised to find out that Arkansas has a winning record against SEC West foes since joining the conference, and its worst record against a divisional foe is 7-10 vs. LSU.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pitt-Penn State didn't die out as a rivalry, though it had lost some of its fire with Pitt going through a long downturn. It was killed by Paterno because Pitt dared not bow down and do what he wanted.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

To take this across the Atlantic, Arsenal and Tottenham have always been fierce rivals in North London, but Arsenal hasn't lost to its rival in league play since 1999, including a 3-0 win for the Gunners last weekend.

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

They've also been to three SECCGs, though never winning one.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

i didn't mean it died out. i'm not sure when they stopped playing, maybe a little before PSU went to the Big Ten, but once they joined that conference there was no need for PSU to play Pitt or Cuse. Every Cuse fan/alum I know is pissed at PSU for joining the Big Ten. Not that PSu and Paterno invented football, like some of their fans like to think, but once they joined the Big Ten, they had more to lose and Pitt and Cuse had more to gain in those games. PSU also used to play ND before joining the Big Ten. I could see why you're mad at Paterno as a Pitt fan, but you should be more upset that Wannstedt was an NFL coach and was still too stupid to see how good Flacco would be compared to Palko.

Draft saved Draft deleted