1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unbalanced sports rivalries/series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 5, 2009.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's 54-18-1, but who's counting?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's what I found here:

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2009/08/syracuse_to_meet_colgate_again.html

And unless Colgate won in the last couple of years, their last win vs. Syracuse was in 1962:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncb&id=2692018

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

wow. didn't realize they played that many times. i do remember when Foyle was at Colgate they were hopeful of getting a win. i guess they used to play twice a year.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't have any proof, but I would think that early on in their rivalry, they played more than twice a year just due to geography. Teams didn't travel as much or as far in the horse and buggy days.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

An example of a bizarre case of a "rivalry" that exists mainly on one side is the hatred of Arkansas fans of the University of Texas. The two schools haven't played on a regular basis in almost 20 years, but I'd still argue that most Arkansas fans consider Texas their most hated rival. A lot of this has to do with the fact that Arkansas has no true rival in the SEC.

Arkansas has tried to create a rivalry with LSU and has even introduced a trophy to their annual football game, the Golden Boot, but most LSU fans view the trophy as a joke, even though the series has been relatively even since Arkansas joined the SEC.

I'd venture to say that Arkansas has to be one of the only schools in the nation without anything close a real rival.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fourth. OSU, ND, and PSU (when both teams are good). Michigan-Minnesota also has a real trophy (the Little Brown Jug) on the line, so you could even argue fifth.

As far as the NFC North is concerned, there used to be pretty good rivalries among all four teams, but since the Lions haven't sniffed serious contention in 30 years, that tends to dial down the voltage quite a bit.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

LSU can lose that game and still win a national title.

8. cjericho

they can lose 2 in a season and still win a title, no wonder they're laughing.

9. cjericho

that is a weird situation. Penn State is a little like that though. Pitt used to be a pretty big rival, although Pitt has WV. Also Syracuse considered Penn State a pretty big rival and a lot of Cuse fans are pissed that PSU went to the Big Ten. Boston College considers ND a big rival, especially due to the recent success but ND doesn't mention BC in the same breath as USC or Mich.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kansas State fans really want Kansas to be their rival. But Kansas fans have no hate like they do for Missouri (and vice versa).

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Georgia-Georgia Tech is like that. Georgia is the No. 1 rival for Tech, and there is no close second.

But for most Georgia fans, Tech comes third after Auburn and Florida. Quite a few would put Tennessee ahead of the Jackets, as well, but that rivalry doesn't have quite the same pedigree because it wasn't a regular series in the old days. Fans of the right era still feel enmity toward Clemson, even though that series has been all but discontinued.

But Georgia fans are weird; everyone has their own most hated rival. I know plenty of people who loathe Auburn -- I never felt that deep hatred. The games are usually close, they're entertaining, they have wild endings, etc. Hell, a couple years ago, the series record was within one or two games, and the cumulative score was, like, 1,650-1,648. In fact, I recognize that Auburn needs to win its share of games to keep the series what it is.

But Tech? Georgia could beat Tech twice a year for the next hundred years and it wouldn't be enough. I loathe Georgia Tech with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Minnesota hockey is the biggest rival for, seemingly, half the teams they play on their schedule.

St. Cloud, Duluth, Minnesota State, Bemidji, etc. But the Gophers don't see those teams as rivals, really.

They look at Wisconsin and North Dakota.

Draft saved Draft deleted