1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unbalanced sports rivalries/series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yankees 1, Red Sox 0

Sure the Red Sox have made a comeback, but there is a lot of ground to make up.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

College football: The entire Big Ten conference, past and present (including U. of Chicago) vs. Indiana University.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm stunned that wasn't in the original post, because that's the first thing that came to mind. Also, KU-Kansas State basketball -- the Jayhawks are 30-2 against K-State since the Big 12 was formed in 1996. It's even more lopsided if you go back two or three more years from that.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Definitely still HUGE for Browns fans.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shit, has anyone mentioned Army vs. Navy football?

Navy has whipped Army seven straight times by scoring at least 34 points each game.

38-3
    34-0
    58-12

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How about rivalries in which one team's fans care alot more than the other's?

Bears fans consider the Packers their one and only true rival, but I've always gotten the impression Packers fans care at least as much, if not a little more, about beating the Vikings.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Packers fans have enough hate in their hearts for both the Bears and Vikings. We're equal opportunity haters. Lions too, if they'd ever give Packer fans a reason to hate them.

It does tend to skew geographically, though. Hate for the Vikings rises as you go north and west in Wisconsin. Hate for the Bears rises as you go east, and especially, south, particularly in the greater Milwaukee/Racine/Kenosha area.

You get the whole Milwaukee-Chicago border thing going there and folks (like me) from that area like nothing more than shoving it up the asses of any Chicago sports team, but historically, the Bears have drawn the most scorn (though the Cubs are catching up with a bullet, if they haven't exceeded the Bears hatred).

The funny thing is to see the Packers' rivalries through the eyes of the other side. Go to Minnesota and Vikings' fans hate of the Packers is messianic. It's pretty funny, because a lot of it is based on the "arrogance" of Packer fans who like to point out that their franchise has, you know, won a championship (or 12). :D

8. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

The Lions have lost eight straight to the Packers and 19 straight in Green Bay.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

In the days of the Adams Division, the B's owned the Whale and the Habs owned the B's. Montreal had a long playoff series win streak over Boston but I think the Bruins have won the last 2 or 3 series.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Michigan is Michigan States biggest rival. Michigan State is Michigan's third biggest rival.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Syracuse leads Colgate 116-45 in their men's basketball rivalry. I think the Orange also have a long winning streak against Colgate, too.

Cornell is another opponent that comes to mind that Syracuse has dominated against.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't know they played that many times and I don't know how Colgate has that many wins, even if it is lopsided. Syracuse vs. other NY colleges is like UConn vs. CT schools.

edit: is something off there? 116-45. did they play 4 or 5 times a year before the Big East was around?

Draft saved Draft deleted