1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unbalanced sports rivalries/series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The Georgia/Fla. series, with the Gators having won 17 of past 20, got me thinking.
    What are some other currently unbalanced series?
    Mississippi State has lost 17 of past 19 grid games to LSU.
    Jackson State has lost once ever to SWAC foe Mississippi Valley State. (Maybe twice, I'll check it.)
    And Alabama's got like a 135 to 32 all-time advantage over Mississippi State and Ole Miss combined.
    There are plenty more out there. And it doesn't have to be limited to football.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Georgia still leads the all-time series! No, really, they do! 46-39-2. So we're good for another seven years, at least. *sigh*

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Iowa has won something like 9 out of 10 against Penn State but I have a feeling we are looking for something larger than that.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Obviously never met in the postseason, but I like to think of Cardinals-Cubs that way.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Steelers vs. Browns

End. Of. Thread.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Notre Dame/Navy football had the record, 43 straight for ND, until 2007.

In basketball, I don't think Clemson has ever won at UNC. Or maybe Duke. Something like that.

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

Kentucky has two wins against the SEC East Big Three (UT, UF and UGa) since 1990, I believe. It's been 24 years since UK beat Tennessee and 22 since the Wildcats beat Florida, I think.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kansas leads Kansas State on the football field 65-36-5, and that includes K-State winning 11 in a row in the 90s-00s.

Worse in basketball. Kansas leads 177-90, which included a 31-game winning streak in the 90s-00s. Kansas has also lost just once in K-State's Bramlage Coliseum.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Raiders and just about all of their old nemeses.

San Diego has beaten Oakland 12 straight times.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nebraska leads its football series with Kansas 89-23-3, including 36 straight wins from 1969-2004.

Alabama leads Ole Miss in football 43-9-2. If you take out the Archie and Eli Manning years, it's 41-5-2.

And from the realm of minor sports:

Alabama has never lost to Auburn in women's gymnastics, a span of 100-plus dual meets spanning back to the early 80s.

And Blitz, you should know this, but didn't Mississippi State go something like 20 years without beating Ole Miss in women's basketball?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Stanley Cup tally in 1967 - Montreal Canadiens 14 Toronto Maple Leafs 13.

The tally since - Montreal 10 Toronto 0.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some people do still see it as a rivalry, though I don't. The Ravens have been the Steelers' real rival for a long time now. I just couldn't resist the dig at the Browns. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted