1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unassisted Triple Play by Tulowitzki

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 29, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Brooks Robinson hit into four triple plays in his career. I think he turned out OK.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Correction: If a guy hits into two triple plays in his career, he should try to hit into two more to eventually make the Hall of Fame.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Something tells me I ought to turn on ESPN News before I go to sleep to watch this just because.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Its a nice play but it isn't that great. I especially love how Rent a Wreck just stood there waiting to get tagged out.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Kind of what happened in the 1920 series (looking at the picture of course). Otto Miller, I believe, just is standing dumbfounded between first and second.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

An unassisted triple play is an unassisted triple play.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Is an unassisted triple play better than a no-hitter?

8. indiansnetwork

Short answer
    NO

9. indiansnetwork

One is a momentary play the other takes at least 27 plays.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Everything has to be going your way for a triple play to be turned. Especially an unassisted one at that. The runners need to be breaking on the pitch, which does not happen that often with no outs. Maybe it does, but I do not see many times when runners break from their bases unless they are speed demons. With a no-hitter, you have to be on, but the stars don't need to align.

11. indiansnetwork

I would say a unassisted play would be more about luck and poor base running then it would be about skill, which a No hitter is.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Is it the talent of the pitcher who throws it or the team he plays?

Draft saved Draft deleted