1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unanswered points

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You should only used unanswered if it's a run at the end of a game, half or quarter. And even then, you should only use it sparingly.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I disagree about "straight." It's in the lexicon. Words are adaptable.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Unless he's either taken his Paula Abdul to a new level, or his steroid use is more rampant than we even thought, yes, he does.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I still change "straight" to "consecutive" every time, but it's a losing battle, as Ace noted. AP uses straight pretty much all the time.

I make the change, but we've reached the point where I'm just not going to ask all of our editors to do it all the time. Too much else of more importance.

But when I see these recurring threads, I wonder where all the people are who are still making it consecutive, because I rarely go anywhere online or in print these days where I don't see "straight."

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for someone to write about a game in which the teams alternate touchdowns to write that "they scored 21 answered points." I, of course, never would want that in my paper, but it makes as much sense as "scored 21 unanswered points."

6. skip2mylou

skip2mylou New Member

Since their stories broke, Woodward and Bernstein were asked, "Who is Deepthroat?"
    The question went unanswered for 30-plus years. Until it was. During the period of silence, it was unanswered.
    If you think it's a bad word to use, okay. But it's not wrong.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

We've made it this far without anyone decrying "back-to-back"?

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I didn't say use "consecutive" when covering poker. By all means, use straight.

But if the Cleveland Cavs win 14 of their next 14 games, they will have won 14 consecutive games.

9. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Puh-lease ... and I suppose Ohio State didn't beat Michigan because there was no blunt, trauma-causing object used during the game.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Yes, because if the opposite a word doesn't work, then the original word must be useless, too.

Christ, you guys are incredible. These mostly are questions of individual preference. Just because you don't like the way it sounds or reads doesn't mean there should be a rule against it.

Loosen up.

11. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

You're right. They also won 14 straight games and won 14 in a row. Last time I checked, straight can be used as an adjective.

2 a : lying along or holding to a direct or proper course or method <a straight thinker> b : CANDID, FRANK <a straight answer> c : coming directly from a trustworthy source <a straight tip on the horses> d (1) : having the elements in an order <the straight sequence of events> (2) : CONSECUTIVE <12 straight days>

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't see any way "unanswered" is a matter of personal preference. It's plain wrong unless the run ended the game. If, at any point, a team scores after such a run, it is not unanswered (especially if you mention it, like Michaels did, BEFORE THE OTHER TEAM HAS A CHANCE TO ANSWER!).

In a gamer or column, which is clearly written after the game, why you would want to refer to a run that is "temporarily" unanswered -- as alluded to above -- is beyond me.

Draft saved Draft deleted