1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN autopsy report: Israeli commandos "executed" American

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I know there was a thread on the Israeli attack on the Gaza-bound flotilla back in May, but I thought this deserved its own thread. The UN has released a report that says, in part:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/29/un-factfinding-mission-sa_n_743873.html

Rest of the report not as surprising, but just as damning.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The IDF doesn't play.

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

If that description is true, saying "The IDF doesn't play," seems a little inappropriate to me. I once heard an officer say that the mark of a professional is to apply no more and no less force than necessary for the situation. He also said that in the heat of the moment, that's one of the hardest things to remember and control. This sure seems like an illustration of that concept.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It was flippant. But it's true. The IDF has no qualms about assassinations or killing to send a message.

5. highlander

highlander Member

I remember once a female comedian saying she married a former Israeli soldier. Her next comment was "No one throws rocks on our street anymore."

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Denies any knowledge of this matter.

[​IMG]

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I think the study's findings puts the IDF beyond "heat of the moment" trigger-happiness. Dogan was already down on the deck, likely unconscious for a few minutes, when someone put a gun barrel in his face and pulled the trigger. One Turk was also similarly down and out when an IDF member shot him in the head with a beanbag gun... a weapon that's only supposed to be used at long range to be non-lethal... but they also shot him from close range. The beanbag not only entered his head, but did so with sufficient force to end up lodged in his chest.

This was nothing but cold, calculated murder. And the Israeli government covered up from the get-go.

The IDF doesn't play, that's for sure. And neither should we. Cut off all support. Now. This (Dogan) was an American citizen that they murdered without any qualms. You may say that they probably didn't know he was American at the time. Okay - doesn't lessen the brutality of the event - but okay. But has there at least been an "Oops. Our bad"? Nope.

(BTW: Dools – Nice NCIS nod. Took me a second, but I got there.)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: UN autopsy report: Israeli commandos "executed" American

Michael Nouri is grateful

Draft saved Draft deleted