1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Umps make 1 in 5 close calls wrong.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've said this before and I will say it again: I hate replay. I would like it if it was 100 per cent accurate 100 per cent of the time, but there is no such thing.

Sure there are obvious calls, but there are plenty of calls where you are still bringing in someone to make a judgement call on the replay -- and there have been more than a few times where the replay has actually got it a) wrong, b) not used at all because coaches are conserving their challenges, c) not used at all because coaches have no challenges left, d) not used because the play is not "deemed challengable" for some obscure reason, e) the replay can't change or really rule on anything because it hasn't got the right angle on the play, and f) there is a malfunction with the equipment. I figure if there are going to be errors in the system, let them be human errors not computer ones.

I am a firm beliver that they all eventually even out anyway, even for franchices that believe they are cursed -- everyone remembers when a call goes the wrong way, no one remembers when they get one that goes their way.

Also I know at least with hockey the referees and linesmen are evaluated after every game by those who mange the officials in the NHL who just happen to be former officials themselves. And every year there is a veteran official or two or three that falls out the bottom and is not brought back because of a poor performance overall. Also I know referees in all sports are rewarded for their strong performances with the opportunity to call playoff games and all-star games and other such premiere events.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I hope Game 7 and the outcome of the World Series is decided by a blown call by one of the 3-4 truly asshat umps, and it goes against the Yankees. Change will be implemented before breakfast the following morning.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

CB Buckner wants to know why the fuck you're talking about him so early in the morning? You're outta here, Joe!

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not picking on Sabres fans here, but who's to say they even use it in that situation?

The NHL sure as shit didn't in a year when they reviewed just about every friggin goal.

Like I said, there is no perfect system, even if it sounds simple and easy to implement, it will be blown apart before the all-star game.

Draft saved Draft deleted