1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ummm, SI could you please stop screwing up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guybehindtheguy, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And, that's why each mistake is so damaging.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The July 2nd issue had an article about #1 picks in the NBA and NHL drafts rarely leading their teams to titles. According to it, Elton Brand, Pervis Ellison, Michael Olowokandi, Joe Smith, and Chris Webber have "never made playoffs." In fact, all of them have played on teams that have made the playoffs.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They really put that in? Did they mean it in a different context, like may never played in the finals or something?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The pertinent part you guys are missing in your shredding:

Shaq never won a title with the Magic. The others, I'm guessing, made the playoffs later in their careers (though I'm not sure because I don't watch the NBA).

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

OK, I'm a moron. I just re-read the accompanying article and they were referring to how far the team that drafted the player made it. So, it was right - Elton Brand didn't take the Bulls to the playoffs, he took the Clippers, etc. My (not SI's) mistake. Sorry about that.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was in the midst of writing my mea culpa when you posted IJAG. Oops.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mine wasn't directed only at you, Dyno. And I read it twice to find it. :)

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not really.

But there was a time when their errors weren't spread all over the internet.

Right now 883 (and counting) people now know of the errors.

I wonder how many would have actually noticed the errors had they simply been reading the magazine as 13-year-old fans (as they were when it was so much better).

Many wouldn't have seen the magazine in the first place because they don't subscribe.
    Others would have skipped over the photo.
    Still others would have looked at the photo but paid little attention to the cutline.
    Still others would have read the cutline and noticed nothing.
    And finally, a few may have actually noticed the errors.

Of course, it's hard to screw up an ID on covers like this (but I can pretty much guarantee there are three errors somewhere in the issue).

[​IMG]

Everything is magnified today. Britney's lack of underwear while getting out of a car . . . politicians saying stupid things ("Macaca") . . . and, yes, errors in SI.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Asking SI not to screw up is like asking ESPN to develop some sense of ethics. Or asking the AP to be the paragon of outstanding journalism.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

12. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

In case anyone would care for another one (a pretty simple one, I might add), in the Golf Plus section, Mike Lopuszynski has a small feature toward the back called "Big Play" about K.J. Choi.

In this edition the 5 Ws to the item were WHO, WHAT, WERE, WHEN and WHY.

Solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted