1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Umm, Rev. Jackson, that microphone is still on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Actually Jesse came on Imus after his return and could not have been nicer to him. It will be interesting to see how Imus handles when he gets back from vacation next week.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yes, we've all been waiting for that opportunity as much as you.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Sorry for bringing up the obvious. And as much as I dislike the Rev'sssssss out there, I don't recall them ever giving you an invitation to use the n-word when speaking on them.

4. Boom_70

Hey big chip - does the meaning of your sig apply to blacks only or does it apply to white people also? If so then your question is way off base and highly hypocritical.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Don't hold back. Remember, you have permission.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Someone's a little sensitive. BTW, Boom, "big chip"? Lame.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

you didn't get the invite? ......awkward.....

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Poverty Pimp" works too.

9. Boom_70

You better run that one by big chee before you run with it.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Every time I see that animated Simmons (?) commercial that uses "Funkytown," I think of Jesse's anti-Semetic malaprop.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm late to the party, but I second Ben. It was spot-on. Fenian and me got into it a few months ago when I commented that the black community today view guys like Jesse, Al, Lewis, and others with disdain and wished they go away. True to his word, Fenian ripped my ass. Too bad he isn't here to read all of this, because this is exactly the point that I was making: Jesse and the old guard are unwilling to pass the baton over to a new generation of black leaders (including Jesse Jr.) for fear of losing power and what relevance they have left. It's not that the black community is going to forget what they have done and who they are. They will always be remembered for their accomplishments. The problem is that they can't seem to let go and trust new leaders who are better prepared to deal with issues today.

Secondly, Jesse's open mic comments solidify the sentiments I have harbored for a long time as a brother: we're the most jealous-hearted, selfish, group of player haters this side of the Atlantic. If anyone thinks that all blacks are on the same page, they need to put the crystal meth down. There is a lot of shit going on internally in the black community, issue-wise, and social-wise.

Obama is the new generation of blacks: smart, college-educated, driven by goals, and a risk-taker. He is everything that the old guard was afraid of. They prefer everyone under them to agree with everything they said (and not do), they had all of the answers, and if you listen to them, we can't do no wrong as long as we voted for a straight Democratic ticket.

The fucking game has changed and this year is stong example of that. Black folks (including my relatives) are in a state of flux. Here we have one of us gunning for the White House, something we've been dreaming, fighting, and dying for. But now, we act and speak like we really don't want him to win.

I don't have a problem if someone wants to choose someone else, but as a whole, when we listen to Jesse make an ass out of himself, how many of us are going to tell him to "shut up" or explain why Obama is not his guy. The primaries are over, Hillary lost. Get over it, Jesse.

Or I will cut your nuts off for playing us for fools.

Draft saved Draft deleted