1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Umm, Rev. Jackson, that microphone is still on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From Drudge ...

SHOCK: REV. JESSE JACKSON SLAMS OBAMA, WANTS TO 'CUT HIS NUTS OUT'... APOLOGIZES FOR 'CRUDE AND HURTFUL COMMENTS' CAUGHT ON TAPE... FOXNEWS WILL PLAY JACKSON TAPE IN ITS ENTIRETY TONIGHT ON 'O'REILLY' 8 PM ET/5 PM PT... DEVELOPING...

Jackson Statement: For any harm or hurt that this hot mic private conversation may have caused, I apologize. My support for Senator Obama_s campaign is wide, deep and unequivocal. I cherish this redemptive and historical moment.

_My appeal was for the moral content of his message to not only deal with the personal and moral responsibility of black males, but to deal with the collective moral responsibility of government and the public policy which would be a corrective action for the lack of good choices that often led to their irresponsibility.

_That was the context of my private conversation and it does not reflect any disparagement on my part for the historic event in which we are involved or my pride in Senator Barack Obama, who is leading it, whom I have supported by crisscrossing this nation in every level of media and audience from the beginning in absolute terms._

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No way Drudge would ever step back from stirring that particular kettle of shit.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm trying to think of a downside for Obama to getting blasted by Jesse Jackson.

And I got nothing.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Agreed.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wolf Blitzer said the comment was so crude it couldn't be repeated on air.

I didn't realize "cut his nuts out" was on Carlin's list.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm curious to se how many responses this thread gets. Jesse is a media whore of the highest level, and a racist to boot.

EDIT: I'll third Zeke and PDB's comments.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

President Bartlet still wins the prize for best use of open mike that he "didn't know" was open.

He's a .22 caliber mind in a .38 magnum world.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Doubt that Obama is planning a concession speech or anything.

Thought I doubt that Rev. Jesse knows what unequivocal means.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jesse's in a different business than BO is, now.

Jesse's enabling act is beyond tiresome -- not to mention self-serving.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One problem is that there is no context at all, just this reprinted Drudgery.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Michael Kelly (RIP to a great one) wrote the seminal article on Jesse for GQ. Wish I could find it online.

Small part:

Jesse Louis Jackson is forty-nine years old and suffering from a midlife crisis. It is not the usual sort, not a tremor of waning libido or of looming mortality. It is a crisis of relevance. Relevance is the base of all that Jackson has. His extraordinary career rests on the strength of his great talent for seizing the moment, for being in the right place at the right time and shouting the right thing. This skill has made him America's foremost political celebrity ... And yet, all of a sudden, there is an awkward feeling in the air. A scent of So What. A strong whiff of Who Cares.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's fairly spot-on.

Man bankrupted a charity. That's hard to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted