1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Umm....I think I have a stalker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Oct 24, 2007.

1. So a few months ago at my old job, I got a nice greeting card in the mail that had something to the effect of: You're a c*cksucker written insidel.ide.
    The letter was not addressed, and it wasin cryptic handwriting.

Then, as some of you know, I had to deal with some AHole on here talking shit and trying to out me.

Today, at my new job, I get another creepy letter. Not addressed. In creepy writing.

Umm....help?!?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought you knew who kept trying to out you. Was I mistaken?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Talk to your editor. See what advice he has. If it's the same person, that'd be pretty concerning given that you've changed jobs since the first one.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Are any of the cops reporters at your shop chummy with any of the officers? If so, have them introduce you and maybe they could take a look at both letters (if you have the old one) and can look into it.

Good luck

edit: added good luck

5. Doc...I had a idea, but nothing for sure...

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wonder why some people have nothing better to do than stalk someone...

I would definitely get the police involved. Perhaps they might be able to track down where that came from and do something about it.

7. I'm going to go out on a limb here.
    Maybe it's Carrie Fisher? She's crazy you know.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

If you are freaked out by it, take it to the police, only after you seek advice from your boss or even HR if you have to go that step. A manager at one of my workplaces stalked me for about 5-6 months. And when the shit hit the fan (meaning both of our bosses, HR, Harrassment Committee and Police), he tried to threaten me because he knew he was caught. It was the worst experience I hope to never relive ever again in my life.

Snuka, I wouldn't take this lightly if I were you, considering the person is not even coming forward but yet, harrassing you with creepy letters and greeting cards.

PM me if you need more advice or if you want to talk about the situation.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cansportschick offers excellent advice here.

If you are having a problem like this, get it on record as soon as possible. And be sure to show them the letters and any other pertinent information. Even if the police can't do anything now, and it sounds like they won't be able to, if something further happens, there is already information in place and it can help them to help you.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If you don't like me like that, Superfly, just say so.

Seriously though, go to the authorities with this ASAP. It is probably nothing, but you can never be too safe. My girlfriend took a potential stalker too lightly in college until the guy showed up at her dorm room and she had to call 911.

9 out of 10, it is just a loser messing with you. But that 10 percent is a dangerous 10 percent.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Luckily, the closest I've come to having to deal with a stalker situation was when I was working at a call center. I answered a call that probably shouldn't have gone on my line, but that part doesn't matter. What ended up happening was the guy spent a good 10-15 minutes on the phone detailing everything this other guy was doing, right down to making comments about specific markings on his car.

I took it to my manager and she was like "are you SURE it's stalking? Let me talk to him." Sure enough, a few minutes later, she's convinced. We had the guy call his local police and we deleted the stalker's account.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

forever_town, what's even worse is having the stalker park right in front of your house and watching your every move from outside. That is creepy and it happened in my situation. The good thing that worked in my favour is that my supervisor and one of this guys' workers caught him doing it too.

Draft saved Draft deleted