1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UMich. hockey player's Twitter post takes racist jab at Marquette, Mich.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Feb 28, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

His comment barely crossed the line. It was almost funny. Def. not really thread worthy. Also, mods can we get an all-purpose Twitter thread? I tried but even so we have had 2-3 threads about people being dumb on Twitter in the last week alone.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is a market economy. If your running Twitter thread has the goods, it'll take. If not, them's the breaks.

3. The player should have been more careful of offering a generalization even if he did so in a joking manner. That said, spike, you have no more way of knowing the true intent of the looks the kid received than he did. Less, actually, because he was there.

And I'm sure, just as you have reason to believe the town couldn't possibly contain people with racist tendencies due to your experiences there, he has plenty of reason to believe an odd look has everything to do with race, based on his experiences.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Almost an entire page of this thread and sj's resident expert on race relations and all things Michigan is nowhere to be found? Where's Starman to tell us that all white people ARE racist rednecks. And how much he loves lamp.

5. sully84

sully84 New Member

Yeah. As someone with no dog in the fight, it was a jackass comment but no one without a pretty big personal connection to Marquette would give two shits about it.
    Easy to say that when you're not the one getting picked at, I guess. Really just sounds like one kid likely exaggerating or misunderstanding what he perceives to be true...politicians do that everyday so like other people said...it's a little bit of a stretch to call the kid a racist...might be a paranoid ass, but I'd have to walk in his shoes to say for sure.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Maybe it's some sort of Marquette rivalry, given Vaughan graduated from Marquette (Mo.) High School.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/vaughan_scooter00.html

I don't see any angry stories from local media about this, so I presume either no one saw his tweet, or no one cared. It was a stupid thing a college kid said. But lovely Marquette has its racists like anywhere else. Though from what I've seen most of the venom is geared toward the largest minority population that lives somewhere other than the U.P.'s economy-boosting prisons: Native Americans.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you call the coach "Coach"? Get over it. Time to get past the Springfield-Sheilbyville rivalry and do something productive with your life.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There's no way to respond with (a) Larry Brown.. control freak.. play the right way!! (b) public financing.. stadium.. shoot them in the face!!!! or (c) Lockout.. 50% pay cut.. contraction.. players will be sold into slavery!!!

So, he's got nuthin' here.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

-- UMers are indeed almost always arrogant assholes.

-- There aren't many black people in the UP. (A fair number of Native Americans, though)

-- Sparties are ignorant racist yokels with a perpetual and usually well-deserved inferiority complex.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's nothing to do in Marquette, Mich., except freeze to death.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

... and eat pasties.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And apparently make racist comments.

Draft saved Draft deleted